darthmarth37

Home Directory on Another Disk

The most recent episode contains a brief message about putting one's home directory on another disk, and how much trouble it causes. I'm not aware of any issues I have experienced related it, so I'm curious: what sort of trouble does it cause?

I currently use a symbolic link to put my home directory on another drive. I'm not very familiar with directly telling the local directory service where to put it, so I'm just falling back to symlinks since I don't know of a better way of doing so. Is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Huskermn    33

I don't KNOW what it does but I would speculate it would really bleep things up if the volume couldn't be found for whatever reason at Startup.

I'm curious as to why you would want to do it?

I'm curious as to why you would want to do it?

I use MacDrive to access my home directory from Windows, but it tends to wreck the filesystem after a while. If I put my home directory on a separate, non-boot filesystem, I don't have to reinstall Mac OS X and all my applications every time this happens; I can just create a new filesystem, grab my files from my backups, and be on my merry way.

I can't use FAT32 because it doesn't support hard links and symbolic links.

isaiah1112    0
The most recent episode contains a brief message about putting one's home directory on another disk, and how much trouble it causes. I'm not aware of any issues I have experienced related it, so I'm curious: what sort of trouble does it cause?

I currently use a symbolic link to put my home directory on another drive. I'm not very familiar with directly telling the local directory service where to put it, so I'm just falling back to symlinks since I don't know of a better way of doing so. Is there a better way of accomplishing this?

For the most part, symbolic links work just fine. Most applications (and by most I would bet 99.999 percent of applications) today can handle the "redirect" setup by a symbolic link. The only trouble I have seen is that an application which requires the users home folder but does not use a posix path to it (which would follow symbolic links) will not launch or delete the symbolic link and create a new /Users/ directory on the primary drive. When this happens you simply have to recreate the symbolic link and all will return to normal.

We do something similar at my company. We have a 40GB boot volume and then a second Data volume where all the users data is stored. In this way we can rebuild the OS at any time without hurting the user's data. We have used symbolic links since the beginning because it is just too much of a pain to change the actual user account information in OS X.

That seems sensible enough. We generally use NFS automounts at work, so I'm afraid I have no experience with moving home directories when account information is stored locally. Why something wouldn't use an existing path correctly escapes me, though.

isaiah1112    0
That seems sensible enough. We generally use NFS automounts at work, so I'm afraid I have no experience with moving home directories when account information is stored locally. Why something wouldn't use an existing path correctly escapes me, though.

Hey... you can never assume that a developer makes every consideration for every type of setup out there!