dmeyer

How do you clean your computer?

I love my MacBook, but whoever designed it needs to have their head examined for making it white. The keyboard and palm rests show dirt like nothing I've ever seen. I bought a palm rest skin from invisibleshield.com, but the keys are still exposed...

So what does everyone do to keep 'em clean? I know Apple says to use a damp cloth, but that just doesn't cut it for the dirt that's down in the texture of the plastic. Is there a favorite product that gets rid of the dirt reasonably easily without damaging the letters? Also, I don't want to "scrub" on the keys in fear of A.) dripping something down inside and B.) damaging the componetry underneath.

I put mine in the washing machine. A quick spin gets it clean and spangly.

Or, slightly more seriously, iClear (or maybe it's iClean, I never can remember). It's what they use in the apple store. If it's good enough for them , it's good enough for me.

Isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) + absorbent cotton (aka cotton wool).

Both products are available in your local pharmacy or supermarket, no need to use brand products.

Both products are available in your local pharmacy or supermarket, no need to use brand products.

And this should go without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway...

1. Make sure your power is turned off (especially on laptops) ... you might even want to remove the battery and wait a few minutes.

2. Go easy on the rubbing alcohol. no need to overdo it. a little goes a long way. and never pour directly on computer... always a little on the cotton first.

sheesh. I sound like I should be writing "Contents of this coffee cup are hot. Don't put in lap."

But of course if you don't, then someone will undoubtedly sue McDonalds or something. :rolleyes:

The "Mr Clean® MAGIC ERASER®" works very well on white macbooks.

Just keep in mind that Alcohol should never be used to clean a laptop screen. It will damage the surface of the screen. That's why iKlear is good .... no alcohol and no ammonia

I just tried the Magic Eraser, and it works great! A small amount of rubbing cleaned up the keys nicely. I did not dampen the eraser.

Ironically, the invisible film on the palm rests is looking kind of nasty now. I guess you can't have everything...

Not saying the iKlear wouldn't work, but at a tenth of the price this is a good alternative.