Bandito

Recording Dual Tracks in Garageband

This must be a favorite topic amongst podcasters as I'm sure I've heard it time and time again over the past few years.

What equipment do you use?

It's technical so I've listened, but with no interest in creating my own podcast I didn't pay close attention. Now my 10 year old daughter wants to create a podcast... about computers !! (yes, I'm quite proud).

With the most basic of setups.... a simple Logitech USB 250 headset, my Macbook Pro and Garageband.... I know she can create a nice, simple podcast with little problem.

BUT I also want the ability to come in as the second voice... so I can give her lead in questions to help her out ... and she wants to interview other kids to get their perspective too.

So my question is this... Can I simply add a 2nd USB headset in and set each up to record on a different track?

I know the best solution is likely to pick up a mixer w/ preamp but money is tight right now and I'll have to pick up the domain name and hosting account (Libsyn most likely) as well. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

This must be a favorite topic amongst podcasters as I'm sure I've heard it time and time again over the past few years.

It's technical so I've listened, but with no interest in creating my own podcast I didn't pay close attention. Now my 10 year old daughter wants to create a podcast... about computers !! (yes, I'm quite proud).

With the most basic of setups.... a simple Logitech USB 250 headset, my Macbook Pro and Garageband.... I know she can create a nice, simple podcast with little problem.

BUT I also want the ability to come in as the second voice... so I can give her lead in questions to help her out ... and she wants to interview other kids to get their perspective too.

So my question is this... Can I simply add a 2nd USB headset in and set each up to record on a different track?

I know the best solution is likely to pick up a mixer w/ preamp but money is tight right now and I'll have to pick up the domain name and hosting account (Libsyn most likely) as well. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Glad to hear about the new "Podcaster/Netcaster"!

I cannot really speak to the USB microphone as I only have one USB mic which I use for my "mobile" podcasting setup. However, when I am at home I have a nice Focusrite Saffire DSP which has two Mic inputs and runs the digital signal to the computer via FireWire. This is an expensive piece of equipment though and unless you are really serious about buying it or have another reason for the purchase it probably isn't practical. I have also looked into an Alesis MultiMix 8 Mixer. It is not too expensive and would really make multi-person Podcasts easy. Of course, you would then also have to buy microphones for every person which can make it not worth while as well.

As far as hosting goes, I use Netfirms for the hosting of the iScript Netcast. I felt that their hosting packages (space and bandwith) were the best I had seen in a while. ($8 per month gets you 10GB of storage and 500GB of bandwidth which is plenty of space and bandwidth for a beginning audio podcast). Of course, video Podcasts may need one of their better packages.

Hope this helps you get started... If you have any other questions regarding getting a podcast started just let me know... I am more than happy to help!

Edited by isaiah1112

Thanks,

i did some playing around and did not see a way to have multiple input sources for microphones in the version of GarageBand i have (i think it's '06). You have to select the input source under preferences, and that sets the input for any new tracks you make. For what you are talking about doing you'd need some sort mixer or other audio-interface that will take two microphone inputs. Another option might be to use your audio setup assistant to make an aggregate input source with one channel coming from each usb headset, but since i don't have more than one usb mic i can't really give you specifics or guarantee it will work.

I would give Wire Tap Studio a try. It is a audio recording application that can record any sound on the Mac. It can record audio from a mic or from an application that makes sounds. Need to record a conversation from your mic and ichat, no problem. Need to record two mics, no problem. Check out the application from Ambrosia SW. If you are recording with two mics your levels can be set post production. WTS features a lossless editor that will allow you to export to a host of different file formats. Effects can be added to your audio via the built-in plugins that comes with the Mac. These plugins are also available with Garage Band. I have heard that Garage Band may treat two identical mics as only one mic. If you were to get two different mics, GB would be able to see the two separate mics. I have not heard of this issue with WTS. I have done two screencasts about using Garage Band and Wire Tap Studio. To check them out click on the links below. They may be of some insight.

Wire Tap Studio

Garage Band

Brent

Edited by trucklover

Thanks all. All good info, but I was looking more for hardware responses rather than applications.

I'm likely to stick with Garageband as that's what I have. My daughter will be working on it with me (and I'm going to use this as an opportunity to teach her as well). She mainly likes to use my Macbook Pro so Garageband is a great first choice. I'm familiar with Ambrosia Soft's offerings, but don't think it's necessary right now.

I guess I'm coming back to my original question.... for more than one input, do I need a mixer? or can I plug a 2nd USB mic into the other USB port and assign from within Garageband and have each recording to a separate track?

As i said before i plugged a USB mic into one slot, and a griffin imic into the other (i don't have a second usb mic), and GB was not able to use one for one track and one of another. You get ONE input source. You've either got to get an external mixer or go the software route.