BossBaker

All podcasts sync with iPod instead of only unplayed

After searching the Apple Support Discussions, I found that I am not the only one having this problem with iTunes. I'm hoping someone here may know what's going on. If you want to read the apple discussion,

Apple Discussion

This is a post that I made on the Apple Discussion.

I'm so glad that I found this discussion. I am having the same problem. I purchased a new 120 gig classic after my 3rd gen iPod died (drive issues). When I synced the new iPod, iTunes loaded every podcast no matter what setting I was using. I called Apple tech support. Here is the list of things we tried. Restored the iPod. Erased the iPod and reinstalled the software and then all the data. completely uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled itunes. Rebuilt my iTunes library. After all that nothing changed. I finally got the OK to exchange my iPod for a brand new one. Well, I just tried syncing my old 3rd gen iPod, i mean what the heck you never know what may happen. It came back to life and synced. It has the exact same problem. I'm thinking it MUST be an iTunes bug. Funny though, my iPhone doesn't have this problem when it syncs. My daughters 80 gig iPod syncs fine on her desktop (same computer). I give up. I waiting for a call back from tech support. I will be sure and point out this discussion to him. Apple!! Help us!!!!! :(

Not a true solution, but as a workaround you could just make a smart playlist with the conditions " podcast = true " and " " play count is 0 ". Then turn off syncing to podcasts for that iPod and add syncing to that playlist. That's what I do instead anyway. That way I can add more of my own conditions like filtering out video podcasts, etc.

Not a true solution, but as a workaround you could just make a smart playlist with the conditions " podcast = true " and " " play count is 0 ". Then turn off syncing to podcasts for that iPod and add syncing to that playlist. That's what I do instead anyway. That way I can add more of my own conditions like filtering out video podcasts, etc.

Thank you for the tip. That would work fine if I could turn off podcasts but even when I uncheck the sync podcasts box, itunes still loads all the podcasts and I do mean all. Thats the whole problem that I and other people are having. No matter what podcast setting you use, iTunes loads everything anyway. I can manage the podcasts manually if I go and uncheck each one after I listen to it and use the "only sync checked music" setting.

I just want to bring attention to this issue and point out that I am not the only one that this is happening too so Apple will fix it. I hoping someone at Apple is listening.

Boss,

Can you give us more details on the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far? I would hate to recommend something you have already done. On thing you might try is creating a new user account and then logging into that, subscribing to some podcasts in that account and then syncing them to see if the issue isn't a problem with your user account.

Boss,

Can you give us more details on the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far? I would hate to recommend something you have already done. On thing you might try is creating a new user account and then logging into that, subscribing to some podcasts in that account and then syncing them to see if the issue isn't a problem with your user account.

Here are the steps that I have taken so far.

* restore the iPod

* erase iPod and then reinstall software and data

* rebuild the itune library, with the help of Apple support.

* completely unistall itunes and reinstall

* uninsubscribed to podcasts and resubscribed to podcasts.

I did talk to Apple support again and mentioned the discussion on the Apple website.

He said he would escalate the issue with Apple.

I did have other issues with the ipod, when syncing, iTunes "detected corrupt ipod"

and song playing on ipod wouldn't match song on the screen.

Also, I have been without an iPod for the past week because Apple allowed me to exchange it for a brand new one. When I get a chance, I will sync it with a new user on my mac and see if I still have the problem then and post the results.

Here is the update from my previous problem. I did receive a new ipod from Apple.

Step 1,

I set up a new user account on my mac. I downloaded four podcasts, and listened to two of them. I then synced my virgin iPod to sync only unplayed podcasts, no music.

Everything worked great, the ipod only has the two unplayed podcasts on it.

Step 2,

I synced the ipod to itunes using my user account I chose the sync only unplayed podcasts. I am only syncing podcasts at this point. Everything worked great. iTunes only synced unplayed podcasts. Problem solved? Not quite.

When I chose sync Music, all songs and playlists, iTunes started syncing all podcasts.

I have no idea why it’s syncing all podcasts during the music syncing process.

I had a couple of smart playlists with podcasts on them, I deleted them, but still no change.

Also, Podcasts that sync on my iPod are only audio podcasts. All my video podcasts end up in in the movies folder on my iPod. I guess that’s ok.

I tried creating a smart playlist with the rules Playlist is Music, Podcast is False, with live update checked. I then chose sync selected playlists and included that playlist.

Once again all podcasts were synced to my iPod. I tried changing the setting to, all new podcasts, but the same thing happens.

So this problem seems to have nothing to do with the podcast setting in iTunes. The problem happens when the Music Library is synced. I guess I’ll never know if tis is an iTunes bug or my library is messed up. Since apple worked with me to rebuild my library already, I’d like to think that it’s itunes. Any comments are welcome.

To truly determine if the issue is with something in your user acct or something in the library file itself, you would need to run the existing library in a new acct.

1) Start fresh with still another "test" user acct

2) copy your entire iTunes Folder ( from user/music ) into the music folder of the new acct

3) Open iTunes in new acct ( it should open itune to the same library as what is showing in your normal user acct )

4) Connect new iPod. Before syncing, reset the iPod through iTunes.

5) Now sync the iPod and play with it

If the same problem occurs, then it is something in your iTunes folder causing the problem. You will need to start over from scratch by deleting the iTunes folder ( make sure you have backed up your music first ), delete any plist files pertaining to iTunes, add your music to itunes through "add to library", and then re-subscribing and re-downloading all your podcasts. This is different than "rebuilding" the library in that rebuilding may not have fixed a file that is causing the issue ( using my above method uses a fresh iTunes file set ). Actually the safest bet would be to start over from scratch using a brand new user acct and use that user acct to sync your iPod from now on.

Edited by Dolphbucs

my comment below

To truly determine if the issue is with something in your user acct or something in the library file itself, you would need to run the existing library in a new acct.

1) Start fresh with still another "test" user acct

2) copy your entire iTunes Folder ( from user/music ) into the music folder of the new acct

3) Open iTunes in new acct ( it should open itune to the same library as what is showing in your normal user acct )

4) Connect new iPod. Before syncing, reset the iPod through iTunes.

5) Now sync the iPod and play with it

If the same problem occurs, then it is something in your iTunes folder causing the problem. You will need to start over from scratch by deleting the iTunes folder ( make sure you have backed up your music first ), delete any plist files pertaining to iTunes, add your music to itunes through "add to library", and then re-subscribing and re-downloading all your podcasts. This is different than "rebuilding" the library in that rebuilding may not have fixed a file that is causing the issue ( using my above method uses a fresh iTunes file set ). Actually the safest bet would be to start over from scratch using a brand new user acct and use that user acct to sync your iPod from now on.

Hi

Not sure if this is your case but i had a similar problem.

wanting to keep just the unplayed i always had 5 or 6 played too in the list of each podcast.

Then yesterday i realized that the standard smart playlists "recently played" and "recently added" showed the podcasts.

I added to those smart playlist " and podcast is false" and now seems to work fine again!

Give a look to these and give it a try.

Hope it helps

Andrea

p.s. what is the netiquette on the macccast forum? topposting or bottom posting when answering?

Andrea

p.s. what is the netiquette on the macccast forum? topposting or bottom posting when answering?

I don't ever remember anybody asking. I think most bottom-post by default because the forum software quotes the post at the top.

Welcome to the forum, Andrea

I don't ever remember anybody asking. I think most bottom-post by default because the forum software quotes the post at the top.

Welcome to the forum, Andrea

....glitches in permissions to reply....

thanks for the welcome!

Yes i'm very polite (or just too lazy to lurk around and understand it by myself).

Andrea

Hi

Not sure if this is your case but i had a similar problem.

wanting to keep just the unplayed i always had 5 or 6 played too in the list of each podcast.

Then yesterday i realized that the standard smart playlists "recently played" and "recently added" showed the podcasts.

I added to those smart playlist " and podcast is false" and now seems to work fine again!

Give a look to these and give it a try.

Hope it helps

Andrea

my comment below

Andrea,

Thank You Sooooooo Much! I did what you said and that did the trick. Now my iPod only syncs unplayed podcasts like before.

After all I went through with this, I can't believe it was so simple.

Thanks Again,

Chris :D