ramtha

Top Tip for UK Mac users

The American giant WalMart bought UK retailer ASDA a couple of years ago and the cost of consumer electronics in their super stores has been tumbling ever since. I spotted this little £8 webcam and figured, for that price, I'd take a punt on it working with Mac, despite a total lack of on-packaging Minimum System Requirements, which usually means Windows only.

Sure enough, when I got home and plugged it in, Quicktime just saw it as a recording device and recorded from it, both audio with the built-in mic and video with the 300k CMOS and, most importantly of all (and very Apple) utterly zero fuss.

The really nifty thing is that, if I log into Skype as my girlfriend and into another video chat client on my own account, the Mac automatically picks the next available video and audio source (built-in iSight and Built-in Mic) as oposed to what you might think would happen, where you might get an error or a "device busy" message. So presumably it should be possible for me to do multi camera live recording. Stay tuned on the results of my experiments with this later on!

So if you're looking out for an incredibly cheep replacement webcam, as an alternative to your iSight, or you have an older Apple machine, before the built in iSight was standard, get yourself to ASDA WalMart and pick up their nothing fancy looking, works with Mac out of the box store branded webcam now!

Stay tuned on if it works with iMovie and FinalCut simultaneously to the iSight for live multi-camera recording. Also, can I ask, if anyone knows of any Open Source / Freeware which will allow me do this, can you drop a reply to this. TIA

ZHJTGZ4Ihf1c9wiabP1kIciMo1_500.jpg

Edited by ramtha

Thanks for the top tip Ramtha. I bought my folk a Mac Mini G4 coming upto two years ago (second hand) and I wondered about suggesting Skype (video) but was unsure about webcams for mac.

Does it have a builtin microphone?

Can you tell me if you tried it on mac with a PowerPC processor?

Good stuff.. :D

Edited by Greggball

Yes mate. There is a built-in mic. I don't know about non-Intel machines, but I'm guessing it's Leopard which supports generic cam drivers, rather than anything special about the chipset - I could be wrong, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with PPC and possibly even OS X 10.4 Tiger. Please let me know how you get on.

Edited by ramtha

Apple included drivers for a lot of usb cameras in an update for tiger last year when it was clear they weren't going to be producing their own iSight anymore.

Apple included drivers for a lot of usb cameras in an update for tiger last year when it was clear they weren't going to be producing their own iSight anymore.

As a separate unit, yes. The built-in iSight is very much alive though.

Well thanks for pointing that out... I think it's quite clear what I meant.