Tanner

Refutb Macbook! Good or Bad?

Hi I was looking on Apple's website under the refurbished products and I am really thinking about getting a white plastic Macbook but, I need to know is it safe? Will it work like new?

Thanks

I have no personal experience using the Apple Refurbished Store, but Adam does talk highly about it a lot on the Podcast. I would definitely trust something directly from Apple over some other "Refurbished Store" (not saying that there are not any other legit stores out there, just that if I had the choice I would go for the Apple Store).

Just my input.

Apple Geek

Buying something from the apple refurb store is every bit as good as a brand new piece of hardware from Apple. It will have exactly the same warranty and will look and feel brand new in every way. The only difference is that the packaging is usually different and you can't build it to order.

I haven't bought a new machine since my G4 iMac when they were first introduced. My last three purchases were refurbs (2 from Apple and one from Small Dog). No problems to speak of.

I can't remember if Adam said it or someone else, but, to some extent refurbs might actually be better than new because they have been tested and certified at this end of the manufacturing process rather than just coming out of the factory.

I bought a refurb Apple TV last year and it arrived in the original packaging. Recently I bought a 3rd Gen iPod nano and it came in different packaging, but is in pristine condition and came with the stickers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb computer and there are some good deals right now (in North America, anyway).

I've purchased three refurbed iPods, an iBook G3, and a MacBook from Apple. I've only had issues with the last two iPods and the MacBook. There was an issue with how the one iPod had been scanned when it was shipped so I had trouble activating my AppleCare for it. The other time I was sent the wrong capacity iPod. With the MacBook, the wifi card was bad so I actually had to send it back and get another. Otherwise, I've had very good luck with refurbed products from Apple. I love my (2nd) MacBook and have had no problems with it.

My girlfriend's refurbished MacBook actually came in just a few hours ago. There's no way to tell it's not new besides the box it came in. The entire case is new, new battery, not sure about the display. It seems that the mainboard is about the only thing left to be carried over from a "previous" computer. Everything seems to be perfect on it, and at $850, the price is right.

As has been mentioned, refurbished is better in some ways because it is actually looked over before being sent to you. Add a regular 1-year warranty and I see no reason why not to get a refurbished computer.

Something to think about, though...with our education discount, we were qualified for a $950 MacBook. If you buy a new computer you get a free printer...so 6 of one/half a dozen of the other. When I bought mine the free iPod promotion was going on and it was a no-brainer to go with a new one. Shop around to see what'll benefit you the most.

Hi I was looking on Apple's website under the refurbished products and I am really thinking about getting a white plastic Macbook but, I need to know is it safe? Will it work like new?

Thanks

They are typically better than new. They are individually tested by a human before being shipped out, a brand new one isn't, just here and there. They look brand new, it's not like you'll be getting a scuffed up looking machine, comes with everything you need and work fine.

I have a refurb MacBook Pro, AppleTV, iPod 5th gen, Airport Extreme and have never had an issue.

roog

Posting this on the iMac refurb I just bought about 6 weeks ago. Loving it and obviously no problems. Keep in mind also that not all refurbs are items returned because of some problem. For example, I know first hand that some of the 30 inch Cinema HD displays currently offered in the refurb store were simply the displays used by Apple to assist the pro photographers at the Beijing Olympics.

Edited by Dolphbucs

I have purchased a MBP, iPod, and the AEBS all of which are refurbs. The two main reasons I purchased refurbs was the great price and that they go through the a rigid quality control inspection.

In my opinion I feel that referbished mac products are BETTER than regular mac products because they have been sold, and something was wrong with them so they where brought back and then inspected from TOP to BOTTOM and had all the defective parts replaced. so in the respects of its reliablity i think that they are more reliable because they have been examined and been PROVEN to work.

where as a new mac product has only been assembeld and tested lightly at the factory.

so in short you are spending $200-$500 LESS and getting a product you KNOW will work (if your ok with the fact that it had been looked at by more than just you)

If you buy at the right time, when a new model has recently superseded an older one, refurbs are often new machines, they're just old stock. When I bought my 2nd gen Macbook, I received a new machine, it was old stock that Apple was trying to clear after the 3rd gen had come out.