Sign in to follow this  
shockwavedave

Merging 2 very similar iTunes libraries

Alright, I've got a good one for the awesome folk in the maccast forum.

My 500 gb external died a few months back, which contained my huge itunes library. Thankfully I did perform a good backup to DVDs right before it died, plus I had all my music on the old 60 gb ipod 'photo' (which also died a month later). I didn't have enough room on my new MacBook for all the tv shows/movies, so all I did was copy 50+ gb of music from the ipod (mostly ripped and has no DRM) to the laptop. Unfortunately about 100+ songs(of close to 8000) just would not transfer and this is evident as I'll see random tracks from albums missing. As I write, I am currently rebuilding the 'old' library from the back up DVDs. Is there an easy way to merge the two libraries? I pretty much want to update the play counts in the 'old' library or add the missing tunes in the new library. I guess I could search through all 850+ albums to find missing tunes ('old' library is currently hooked up to my imac, 'new' one is on the laptop). Thoughts?

Thanks.

Dave

Sorta, but my ultimate goal is to have all the music in one place (the external), not necessarily 2 that need to be synchronized. What I'm really hoping to do, is once it's all built, put the library on my Airport Extreme and hopefully have both computers share 1 xml file with the desktop acting as sort of a media server, iTunes always on so 100% of my library is accessible for the Apple TV.

I think I will probably just check through the music manually and copy over what is missing onto the laptop, 'consolidate library' to the external, then copy over all the movies/TV shows that are missing.

I can guarantee you're going to run into issues with having two computers sharing one itunes library file. It's never worked reliably, even when shared on one of our Xserves (so with proper AFP sharing set up, not the botched afp that apple ships with OS X client).

Yeah, that's what I gather after doing more research. I think it is possible, but you can't have more than one copy of iTunes accessing/writing to the .xml file. So goes that dream. The only reason I wanted to do that was so the Apple TV would have access to 100% of the content all the time and not just when the laptop is running iTunes, but my laptop is running almost all the time when I'm home anyways, so it shouldn't be a problem. I should at least be able to run the external on the AirDisk so I can access the library w/o having to connect the drive directly. I guess I won't be needing my 1st gen G5 iMac. I hope I can find a buyer.