Sign in to follow this  
Jubilee

Netinstall Question

Anyone use an xserve with 10.5 or use netinstall?

My question is I made 2 different images on netinstall yet when i hold the n key down it defaults to the first image. Anyway i can have it show a screen so I can choose which Image I want to image from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Long time no see. :)

Anyone use an xserve with 10.5 or use netinstall?

My question is I made 2 different images on netinstall yet when i hold the n key down it defaults to the first image. Anyway i can have it show a screen so I can choose which Image I want to image from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Long time no see. :)

I do not user NetInstall images but I do use NetBoot images hosted on an Xserve running 10.5.

Have you selected one of the images to be your "default image" in server admin? Most of the time Netboot will try to boot off the the image it thinks is "most appropriate" when selecting a boot image from NetBoot (Generally this is the one with the highest bootable OS for that machine). You can generally get this set pretty easily by switching your settings for images (if one you want your PPC workstations to boot on then set the other to Intel Only). For instance, if you have a 10.5 image and a 10.4 image you could set your 10.5 to Intel Only and then you will ensure that anything that cannot run 10.4 will boot to the 10.5 (this should happen by default too). However, this will keep G4 733 or better workstations (G5's included) from booting into 10.5 as well.

As far as I am aware the only way to "see a screen" that would allow you to choose which image you want is through Startup Disk in System Preferences. However, that does not mean that there aren't "workarounds." We currently use a software suite known as Casper, from JAMF Software, to perform all of our client installs. This uses a single net boot image to boot a workstation and then uses ASR commands to restore separate images and configurations to the drive intelligently. This is way easier than having multiple net install images for different workstation types.

If you would like more info on the Casper suite or how you could get something similar to this working without buying the suite (some custom development and scripting could do it pretty easily) just let me know!