Sign in to follow this  
Kosmos

Ice pack

I'm importing a movie into iMovie, and it's taking quite a while to generate the thumbnails. Thats normal - but my laptop is getting HOT! This is going to be an overnight thing... is this safe? I have been putting an ice pack underneath the MacBookPro occasionally (the CPU is not getting wet at all.) Am I safe in doing this, or will the laptop be fine getting hot for a few hours?

You're putting your laptop at risk more by putting an ice pack on it than your are by running iMovie. Your laptop will cut out before it gets to a dangerous temperature. You can always install one of the iStat products from iSlayer and get actual figures for the temperature then we'd be able to give you a more accurate answer regarding whether it's a safe temp or not.

I agree that you're taking a big risk putting an icepack under the laptop. You could be cooling some part of the computer while some other part fries.

For heavy duty processing or copying, I try to make sure my MacBook Pro gets plenty of air flow under the computer. If I'm at work, I leave it on its Griffin elevator stand. If I'm at home, I'll put a few unsharpened pencils under it while it sits on the kitchen table or some other hard surface. I do this for bus-powered hard drives, also, which typically lack cooling fans. When I'm doing a large copying task, say a hundred GB of data at a time, I can really tell the difference in the temperature reached by the computer and the external hard drive.

Yes, it is dangerous for that thing to heat up so much. It is also dangerous to have an ice pack under your laptop. Why? Well, the ice pack can cause condensation to form in the laptop, which would cause water damage which is not covered under warranty. It can also cool off certain sensors and create a false reading which can cause parts that are not cooled off to overheat and actually damage the computer. The best you can do other than putting arctic silver on the heatsink cooling plates is to allow airflow under and around the laptop so the cooling system can cool the system at least as it was designed to.

Yes, it is dangerous for that thing to heat up so much. It is also dangerous to have an ice pack under your laptop. Why? Well, the ice pack can cause condensation to form in the laptop, which would cause water damage which is not covered under warranty. It can also cool off certain sensors and create a false reading which can cause parts that are not cooled off to overheat and actually damage the computer. The best you can do other than putting arctic silver on the heatsink cooling plates is to allow airflow under and around the laptop so the cooling system can cool the system at least as it was designed to.

What is odd is I see this product called the "Chillpak," and it supposedly prevents condensation. Is that even possible? I don't think so. I think it only prevents condensation on the actual ice pack, not in the laptop, right?

http://www.chillpak.com/