haivu

Reading PDF on an iPhone or iPod Touch

Have anyone read PDF documents from an iPhone or iPod Touch? If you do, please share your experience. I would like to know if:

1. It is possible,
  2. Do I need any additional software to view PDF, or do I need to buy some software
  3. What the reading experience like: stella, just OK, so sucks big time
  4. Have you tried the PDF formatted for letter paper size?

Thank you all.

1. Yes, it is possible

2. No you don't need to get any other software*

3. I find it actually not very bad. The only downside to the experience is that if there are chapter markers in the PDF, these are not accessible on the iPod touch/iPhone so if you have a long PDF you will have to scroll through the whole thing just to get to a specific section.

4. Not sure about this one.

*If you are talking about just any various PDF found on the internet, then you can just click on the link in Safari (on the device) and it will automatically open the PDF in your browser. If you are talking about a PDF that you have on your computer, you may need to download/purchase some kind of Application from the iTunes App Store that allows you to either access the files on your computer or copy them to your device. But as stated before, to read the PDFs you do not need any additional software.

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

Please Note that I have had some problems with certain PDFs while surfing Safari that say that the file size is too big to download so there is a limit for extremely big PDFs (sorry I don't have any specific numbers). But I think that you should be fine with just about anything else that you are wanting to read. For example - the iPod touch User's Guide (found on Apple's Website) has no trouble downloading and it is a fairly large document.

I've also had no problem viewing PDF as attachments to emails.

No 'other software' needed. Just click on the attachment and it loads and shows.

Just use AirShare. You can read PDF and almost any Office file as well.

I've also had no problem viewing PDF as attachments to emails.

No 'other software' needed. Just click on the attachment and it loads and shows.

I concur. I use Airshare to store PDFs and they always display properly. They look great.

On a side note: When I travel I use the "Print to PDF", feature that is part of Mac OC X to make copies all of my travel documents (itinerary, boarding passes, etc) and then use the Airshare application to store them on my iPhone for reference and back-up.

I use the Print to Evernote item that is installed when you use Evernote - it is then automatically synced to your other macs (or filthy pcs) and iPhone. This way I can print my travel info off on my desktop and it is automatically on my laptop and iphone when I need them.