twobikeminimum

iDVD playback looks like web video

Hi all,

This is weird. Yesterday I imported a VHS tape into iMovie 08 using a Canopus ADVC-110 converter box. The video looks fine in iMovie, but after I sent it to the Media Browser (large version) and burned it to disc in iDVD, the playback quality is pretty jerky — like 15-20 frames per second. It's watchable, but annoying; mostly, I'd just like to know what's caused this so I can try it again.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks —

David

What kind of mac are you doing it on? It could be that you've not got enough horsepower for the encoding to dvd to run smoothly.

What kind of mac are you doing it on? It could be that you've not got enough horsepower for the encoding to dvd to run smoothly.

Oh, sorry: I have a early 2008 iMac, 2.66 GHz with 4GB of memory, so it shouldn't be a hardware problem. Really strange...

Well, it could be if you've got lots of apps open. Take a look at your activity monitor and see if you're out of ram or processor cycles.

Well, it could be if you've got lots of apps open. Take a look at your activity monitor and see if you're out of ram or processor cycles.

Good call (checking Activity Monitor). I don't know if this was causing the problem, but Adobe Updater (which wasn't even open) was hogging up an incredible amount of CPU usage. This is obviously a separate issue, but I've been having problems with Adobe Updater with my CS3 apps for the last couple of months. It always asks for my password and keeps popping up windows and generally getting in the way. No one I know seems to have found a way around this.

I'll let you know if I get a better burn with the movie file.

Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I used Toast Titanium 9 to simply burn the clip from iMovie (being the import file when I imported the VHS tape into iMovie). Haven't tried it again in iDVD, but then I really don't need the menus per se. Thanks for the advice!

David