shockwavedave

Macbook Airport problem

I think another person just posted a similar story, though I believe my machine is younger.

My MacBook no longer wants to connect to my Airport Extreme. I had no problem for 6 months and then it just dropped the connection. It is not the internet, I'm using an ethernet connection right now and my iMac G5 connects via it's airport card with no problem. Any idea what is the problem? All software is up to date via Software update. The MacBook is from earlier in 2008 (purchased in April, the previous models after the bump). Thoughts? Thanks.

Dave

I'm pretty sure it was Graham who said it might be the antenna connection. I'm not familiar with the internals on those but I would think you could open it up and make sure the antenna is properly connected.

Well you COULD open it up, but then it's byebye applecare. It could be either the airport card itself or the antennae (there are multiple for 2.4 and 5Ghz networking). Getting it into an AASP if your best best really.

Does it not connect at all? Or do you get the infamous self assigned IP in the network preference pane?

Well you COULD open it up, but then it's byebye applecare. It could be either the airport card itself or the antennae (there are multiple for 2.4 and 5Ghz networking). Getting it into an AASP if your best best really.

I didn't think installing RAM or an Airport card voided the warranty. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks, Graham.

As I mentioned, being unfamiliar with the internals on MacBooks, I wrongly assumed one could still get to the Airport card w/o problems (like in my iBook and old iMacs).

It connects for maybe a minute or 2. Long enough to get one web page up quickly, but then it just stalls after that. You think I should make an appointment with the Genius Bar, being it is less than a year old? I don't think anything in the internals should have changed or need be adjusted. It literally worked perfectly in the morning (iTunes was consolidating the library, which I had done several times this week), and when I came back in the afternoon issues arose, but the laptop hadn't physically moved, nor had I moved it much in the last few days.

Ok then, what software have you installed? If the answer to that is none, then take it to the genius bar. If you installed something, remove it. If that doesn't fix it, then archive and install.

Router, firewall, other external connections?

We had great luck with the fellas at the Glendale/Whitefish Bay Apple Store.

I rolled back the Airport Extreme router firmware to 7.3.1 and it's working now. Everything else on the network worked perfectly except for the macbook. Weird.