andrea

broken ipod classic harddisk?

Hi

after 9 months of faithful service my ipod (classic 160Gb) is now showing problems.

The story so far

my itunes library is now about 50Gb

3 or 4 days ago i got an error while updating the ipod with itunes that had 4 or 5 new CDs.

Giving ok to that error itunes ejected and reloaded the Ipod and on reconnecting gave another non recognition error and asked to reformat the ipod.

As the Ipod was in windows format and i always thought about going to a mac format seized that opportunity and did it.

Then i set to synchronize all and went to bed.

In the morning an error of device not accessible was on the screen of the macbook!

The ipod was not there and when disconnected reconnected was not recognizeable.

reformatted ok now i tryed a slow approach and after some trial i arrived to this

at about 20Gb transfer slows down on itunes to veeeeeery slow (1 song per 2-3 minutes) and on the ipod the sync wheel normally rotating does not rotates any more.

if i interrupt the syncro (reaction on itunes takes 4-5 minutes) and then restart it seems that a number of songs declared ported on itunes in reality are not.

if i leave it there itunes after some time loses the ipod and ask for a reformat at next connection.

I had an external disk with the itunes library and even tried to bring it back to the macbook to try the "remove all other usb" trial suggested on the apple site.

The ipod with about 20gb of stuff in it works fine, but i cannot sync over that size.

Now the questions.

Am i right in thinking is an Ipod problem an not itunes?

do i need to bring it to the apple assistance (no stores in italy so no geniuses and no direct support...everything is more difficult) or there's something else i could try?

Thanks

Andrea

It does sound like the drive in the iPod is on the way out. I had similar circumstances a couple years ago and was able to revive my 3rd gen iPod by using Disk Utility to erase and write zeroes to the drive, then repair once more and restoring to factory settings after that. It took a long time, but it worked (and, still does). But, it may not work at all as the drive may be physically damaged.

if you've had it for 9 months, it's still under warranty. Take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced.