macdave

Audiobooks question

Hi, I am starting to amass a large audiobook collection, my problem is that I am of limited space on harddrive and ipod. is there a way I could not have all my audiobooks sync with ipod? the only selection there seems to be is to check or not check the audiobooks section when syncing. There does not seem to be a way to selectively check individual books like i do with podcast and music.

My other question is there a way I could archive my books out of itunes library, but be able to move them back into the audiobooks section if I wanted to listen to the book again?

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

Edited by macdave

Why don't you create a play list of the books you want to sync, then sync only that play list?

Why don't you create a play list of the books you want to sync, then sync only that play list?

This is exactly what I have been doing for years. I code the Grouping field with Heard, Later or blank. Then, I set up a Smart Playlist which holds those Audiobooks which have nothing in the Grouping. I have another Smart Playlist which has Later in the Grouping category. That way, when I'm ready for my next book or segment, as many books are in 2 or more parts, I remove the 'Later' tag and it goes into my Playlist to Sync. This allows me to manage the space on my iPhone/iPods semi-automatically.

Also, you can archive the stuff you've heard already off to an external or CD/DVD and re-import whenever you want. The only snag I see there is if it's Audible content and you import into a Library that isn't on an authorized computer.

Couldn't you just uncheck the individual Audiobooks that you don't want to sync? I do that and it doesn't sync those audiobooks to my 2nd gen nano, but will sync the checked ones.

As for archiving and putting them back, should have no problem.

If, when you re-import them, they don't go to the Audiobooks section then you can find them in the library, and then go to Get Info, and in Options change "Media Type" from 'Music' to 'Audiobook' and it will throw it in the Audiobooks section.

Couldn't you just uncheck the individual Audiobooks that you don't want to sync? I do that and it doesn't sync those audiobooks to my 2nd gen nano, but will sync the checked ones.

As for archiving and putting them back, should have no problem.

If, when you re-import them, they don't go to the Audiobooks section then you can find them in the library, and then go to Get Info, and in Options change "Media Type" from 'Music' to 'Audiobook' and it will throw it in the Audiobooks section.

I see no way to check or uncheck them. When I sync my ipod only the audiobooks section is able to be checked. There is no option to drill down into the audiobooks section and check or uncheck individual books.

I would rather not move them out of my audiobooks and create a playlist. I like them all to be neatly arranged in the audiobooks section. I just thought it would be nice if there was a way I could move them out and in when I want to re-listen to a particular book.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

The checkbox isn't in the sync part. If you go into the Audiobooks section of your library, next to the name of the audiobook will be a checkbox that you can then uncheck and it wont sync with your ipod.

2lxo4m.png

The checkbox isn't in the sync part. If you go into the Audiobooks section of your library, next to the name of the audiobook will be a checkbox that you can then uncheck and it wont sync with your ipod.

2lxo4m.png