shockwavedave

Backup to Disc - not worling

After finally organizing the library, it's time to do another nice, clean backup to DVDs. I insert a blank disc, and pick "Backup to disc" from the file menu. After checking for a while (it is a rather large library) I get the error message "Connection failed - The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again." It shows an icon of a blue hard drive with people holding hands. The library is on an external USB hard drive, which is connected through a hub. It works fine, playing the music and movies through that way. The laptop is connected to the internet as well. Any thoughts as to why it is not working well? Thanks.

Dave

Sorry, either this is a Leopard thing or a newer version of iTunes than I've seen.

Where is the 'Backup to Disk' option?

I use SuperDuper for backups.

Weirdly enough, somehow, it appears to have pushed through. The dialog box I was able to just click 'ok' and though it did appear a few times throughout the process. It was just stalling and crashing iTunes a few times.

The 'backup to disc' option is under the File -> Library menu. I have used it in the past, including 6 months ago without problem. I do have a Time Machine backup for the laptop, but my iTunes library is ever expanding so that sits on an external(500 gb) which is larger than than my time machine external (250gb). So I have a copy of the entire library on the external, then on my 160 gb ipod, and thirdly, on DVDs which iTunes has a smart backup option so in a few months it will back up only the new items. I had issues restoring my iTunes when my last external HD died. I had to restore from an old ipod, which didn't work 100% as well as the back up DVD's I created; it was a mess. I'm sorry, that was probably more information than you cared to know. But thanks for the response!

Glad it worked for you.

Definitely not too much info. Background always help to gain context for the question and solution.

Also, never noticed that option. Thanks.