Ron in KY

Book recommendation for new users

I need to purchase a book for a friend who I just got to buy a Macintosh. He would like a reference guide that he can easily lets say he is trying to attach a file in an email, he can look in the table of contents under Mail and it will say attaching files page 43.. Something to this affect and would like it to cover all the basic operations that comes along with Leopard. Any recommendation of a good book like this?

I got my mum David Pogue's Missing Manual and she found that reasonably useful (although she still usually just asks me "because it's easier"!).

i would also recommend the Missing Manual for most Mac needs. They cover a wide variety of topics and have full color pages in most of the books. Step by step instructions on iMac and MacBook including OS X versions.

Thank you this made a very nice Christmas present for this person. Thanks for the recommendation. Ron

Glad you found something.

I used to be a big BOOK person but now tend to rely on the Help Viewer. It really can answer most basic questions.

i would also recommend the Missing Manual for most Mac needs. They cover a wide variety of topics and have full color pages in most of the books. Step by step instructions on iMac and MacBook including OS X versions.

Ditto. I switched a year and a half ago and the Missing Manual was great for me! It explains things in terms that make sense but don't condescend.