trucklover

Deciding between an Aluminum 13" MacBook & a refurb 15" MacBook Pro

trucklover    0

Hello everyone,

My little brother is getting his first computer soon and he has asked me for some guidance. I am really torn between the 13" Aluminum MacBooks and the refurbished 15"MacBook Pros. Both are identical in price, yet the MBP has a better video card, firewire ports, and the PC34 slot (i think that is what it is called). My brother is just a typical consumer with no firewire devices to be found. He needs a good computer that will last 5-6 years. Size is not that big of a concern. So I ask the folks on the Maccast forum, which one would you pick. Give some of your insight. I have owned two MacBook Pro's and a PowerMac G5. I am a power user that uses pro level apps on a regular basis, he won't ever get into that stuff. I also want to add that he is not a video gamer. We may install Parallels on it but only if he needs it for school years on down the road.

Below is a picture of a spreadsheet that I created in Excel. It will show you the details of the 3 computers.

20081114-rqx5i36ptks4bn7x3p6nyrnkpn.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Thanks,

Brent

Graham    1

The hard drive new macbooks will be easier to upgrade. It's one screw to get it out, rather than pretty much total disassembly of an old style macbook pro. I also think that the new laptops feel a lot sturdier than the old macbook pros (and especially the old macbooks which feel cheap and nasty in comparison) - but obviously this is only a gut feeling as they've not been out long enough for us to know one way or the other. But then again, if they're looked after MacBook Pros can look as good as new several years down the road.

There is also screen size (as you mentioned) and the glossy vs matte question.

haivu    21

The screen is one deciding factor. If your brother lives near an Apple store, have him come in and compare the two in person, pay attention to the screen size.

joshr    0

It's my personal opinion that no computer will last 5-6 years and that concept should be left off the table. That said if your looking longevity and screen size doesn't matter I think that the new macbook will be a much better choice. You can upgrade the hard drive and the video card will almost certainly not be an issue.

trucklover    0

I am typing this up on a June 2004 PowerMac G5. I use it more than my 2.6Ghz MacBook Pro w/ 4GB of RAM, because of the dual 19" monitor setup and its 3TB hard drive array in it. I plan to get several more years of use out of it. I record a live band every week and I do most of the audio editing and mastering on this machine. It is still a workhorse even though it probably has the same computing power of a Mac Mini. I think that you can get 5+ years out of a computer if you are just a typical consumer that will be surfing the web, doing email, watching dvd's, editing photos, etc.

Thanks for your posts everybody, keep them coming. We have transferred the funds from the savings account to the checking account. The only thing left is the checkout process.

ps. we live about 1.5-2 hours away from the closest Apple store.