Sign in to follow this  
MacCast

Enhaced Podcast iPod Crash Workaround

From listener John

I have been suffering the problem I heard you talk about in the last podcast where when listening to an enhanced podcast, and then pausing, when the ipod turns off it needs to be reset. The main problem with this, as you mentioned, is the loss of your bookmarks. I find that if when I am leaving my car, instead of pausing and leaving it on the enhanced podcast, I menu up and play a regular mp3. Most of the time this prevents the need to reset, but in the event a reset is required, your bookmarks are saved, and you can just go back to listening right where you were.

Sweet! I'll give this a try. This issue has been real annoying. Happens alot on my new color iPod. I don't recall it happening on my gen 3 iPod.

J.

Sweet! I'll give this a try. This issue has been real annoying. Happens alot on my new color iPod. I don't recall it happening on my gen 3 iPod.

J.

I don't know why it is doing it, I haven't ever had any issues on my 3g either.

I know this is a pain on the iPod lockup problem.

This is how I handled it. (Past tense because I used this 'hack' and the problem went away after a few weeks.)

It seemed to only 'deep sleep' when I paused "bookmarkable" files. (ie Podcasts)

I made a Playlist with one short song inside.

When ever I was going to leave the iPod for a while, I would "Menu" out and find that "single song' playlist.

I would play that song and let the iPod go to sleep. It would play on out and go to sleep. But it would never "deep sleep' after I played the single song. AND all my bookmarks on the podcasts would still be there.

Maccast to the rescue! I was beginning to think that I had a serious hardware fault but then learnt that others are suffering. I hope Apple is listening because this is such a frustrating bug. Thanks Adam.

I have had this problem with vanillla and enhanced podcasts. I haven't had the problem when I hold down the play/pause button (if you can call it that) to shut the iPod down.

The first time this happened I discovered jut how much I have come to love podcasts. I thought something was wrong with the iPod - I didn't know about the reset. Having to go back to radio in my car sucked big time.

Forgive me if this is obvious, however I haven't seen any special features for enhanced Podcasts on my 3rd Gen iPod running the latest version 2.3. My podcasts are just in a playlist called podcasts and they don't store where I was up too when I switch to another track.

If someone can spell it out for me I would appreciate it.

My wifes iPod photo (which I haven't played with too much yet) seems to have different features that are not included in 3G software.

Forgive me if this is obvious, however I haven't seen any special features for enhanced Podcasts on my 3rd Gen iPod running the latest version 2.3. My podcasts are just in a playlist called podcasts and they don't store where I was up too when I switch to another track.

If someone can spell it out for me I would appreciate it.

My wifes iPod photo (which I haven't played with too much yet) seems to have different features that are not included in 3G software.

The only feature that is available for the 3g is that it is bookmarkable, and it is bookmarked (the different segments) They should keep the bookmark. Are you getting it via iTunes or something like iPodderX? Are you making any changes to the file after you download it?

Thats the bit I haven't figured out. How do the bookmarks appear on the 3G. or how to I move to the next bookmark. FWD just skips to the end or the next podcast.

I have got them from iTunes and I haven't changed the file as it moves to the iPod.

Many thanks for your help.

Thats the bit I haven't figured out. How do the bookmarks appear on the 3G. or how to I move to the next bookmark. FWD just skips to the end or the next podcast.
The bookmarks don't actually appear, as far as I know, it's just that if you pause and go to another song, etc. when you come back to the podcast, the iPod remembers where you were.

This is a fairly widespread occurence with 4G iPods and, in my experience, can happen with any very long file. I've had several discussions in the Apple iPod forum and most people, including me, speculate it was something to do with the cache on the 4G models. Anyway, my workaround has been to just shut down the iPod (by holding Pause long enough) and then use the hold key to lock it. I think mine always worked fine that way, though, since most of my listening these days is either audiobooks or podcasts, I just went back to using my 3G most of the time.

I have got them from iTunes and I haven't changed the file as it moves to the iPod.

Many thanks for your help.

There should be little lines in the area at the bottom that shows you how long the track is. Where you can navigate within the track. You have to double tap the middle circle to get into the skip within the track section.

Ok many thanks for all the help. I see the little lines now in the track & I can now skip along to each section. I can now also leave the podcast and it remembers where I was up to. I never thought I was going to be able to on my 3G.

Cheers.

I really don't think any of the solutions are acceptable.

I too had problems and it caused me to rethink having bought an iPod. Thankfully the Apple Store employees are helpful, the first time around I was getting several non-wake ups a week. They replaced the unit because the hard drive was dying.

The second time, I don't know, but the fix was to format the hard drive then do a firmware restore and I haven't had a non-wakeup yet in the last week, so it's possible that the new unit I got in exchange had some corrupted sectors.

I like the thing, but it dissappoints me that even the best product in this sector falls short of basic quality expectations.

Sign in to follow this