Sign in to follow this  
Ruahrc

iTunes source pane, no "sharing"

Got a wierd problem, wondering if anyone can help out.

Running iTunes 8 on OS X 10.5. I would like to enable remote sharing of itunes libraries, specifically letting me browse for shared libraries.

I checked both pertinent options in the iTunes prefs (share my own library and look for other shares).

My friend can see my library just fine. However, I can't see anyone else's library. On my friend's mac, when he enabled the "look for shared libraries" option in iTunes a new category appeared in the left pane of the iTunes window called "Shared". On my mac, however, when I enable the "look for shared libraries" option do not see the new "shared" category. BTW, on his computer there were several libraries other than mine visible so I should be able to see those too, right?

How do I get it to show so that I can see other peoples' shared libraries?

Ruahrc

The SHARING section under your playlists only appears if you asked iTunes to look for shared libraries and iTunes finds at least one shared library on your local net.

Have you done any customization to the OSX firewall or installed a 3rd party firewall (Brickhouse, Norton, etc) ?

Are you all accessing the same router ?

In you Security PrefPane, under Firewall tab, is it set to "Allow only essential services" (that would stop sharing.) Does iTunes appear with "Allow incomming connections?" You might set it to "Allow all incoming connections" while you investigaet the problem.

If the firewall's in order, check your Mac's IP address compared to everyone elses. Are you on the same subnet ?

I had the firewall set to "allow all incoming connections" initially.

For some strange reason now, it seems to be working properly all of a sudden. I can see the shared libaries on my list.

I set the firewall to "set access for specific services and applications" now so my computer *should* be more secure? As in it will start asking for permission for programs to accept incoming connections?

Ruahrc

Glad that everythings working.

I set the firewall to "set access for specific services and applications" now so my computer *should* be more secure? As in it will start asking for permission for programs to accept incoming connections?

Yup, it'll ask about any apps that want to accept connection. 10.5 assigns firewall passes based on applications. 10.4 and before assigned firewall holes via ports.

(If you want to play 20 questions with outgoing connections, too, you can install Little Snitch. A fun little app that simultaneously increases your security and sense of paranoia.