Sign in to follow this  
alty127

Network Storage Solutions?

Basically I want to be able to share my external hard drive with a PowerBook and an iBook. Apple's AirPort Extreme Base Station seems like a solid option but is there a cheaper alternative? I would like to able to use the drive for Time Machine as well extra storage if possible. I would go with Time Capsule but it's to expensive. Would the AirPort Extreme Base Station be worth the replacement of my old saucer Base Station, or is there another router that would do the same thing? Does the Western Digital MyBook World Edition work for local network storage or is there main function access from anywhere? What does everyone else do for a network storage solution?

I have an extreme with several hard drives hanging off it (using a usb hub). I think it works out well.

Good to here that the extreme works well even with multiple drives, but is there any other router that can do the same thing as the extreme? Is this a unique option that only the AirPort Extreme is capable of?

I'm sure there are others but I've not bothered looking since I get apple kit cheap from work.