Sign in to follow this  
davo14

Monitor Help/Query

Hi guys,

I have the new Mac Book. I was sent both DVI and VGA adapters with my laptop, I previously have attached my laptop to my 26" Samsung HD TV, worked quite well, I managed to have a play and get the screen to display correct on my TV.

Anyway, I have just purchased a 22" Iiyama Widescreen DVI monitor (http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProd...920x1080%2c+5ms) I was wondering as I also have to Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my laptop whether its possbile to turn the display of my laptop off while connected via DVI to my new monitor? I have searched through but cannot seem to find anything that help.

Its rather annoying as i keep looking at the wrong screen and going to press the keyboard of my laptop :-S

All i want to do is switch the display off and close the lid of my laptop (not fully) so I dont get confused

Any help is much appreciated.

Davo.

You can kinda, (not sure if it works with bluetooth though), by closing the lid and waiting for it to sleep, then attaching the external display and keyboard/mouse, then click a button on the mouse or keyboard to wake it up.

After its awake you can open the lid and the screen should stay off (you can leave it closed if you want, but most on here wouldn't recommend it due to heat).

You can kinda, (not sure if it works with bluetooth though), by closing the lid and waiting for it to sleep, then attaching the external display and keyboard/mouse, then click a button on the mouse or keyboard to wake it up.

After its awake you can open the lid and the screen should stay off (you can leave it closed if you want, but most on here wouldn't recommend it due to heat).

Thanks for your reply, I will give it a try and report back :-) I hope it works because when I am looking at my wall mounted monitor it can see my laptop screen out of the corner of my eye and it gives me a weird kind of headache!

In fact I would recommend strongly against running a laptop with the lid closed, since a great deal of the cooling is done through the keyboard nowadays.

I always just turn the brightness all the way down on the laptop. I know the LCD isn't "off", but if all you're worried about is seeing it out of the corner of your eye, that'll take care of it.

Not sure how that would affect your LCD life, with it being on all the time. Wouldn't be any different than if you were using it instead of the external display, I guess. Unless there's an app or preference pane out there that'll disable the internal monitor with the lid being open, this may be the only option. +1 for not running with lid closed.