Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Disconnecting the USB cable.

I just got the new iPod nano 4 Gen and plugged it to my mac. It got all my music, podcast and such, but then I had to disconnect it because of someone els needing the mac. I mounted it off and all that, but I know that the manual says to have it plugged in for 3 hours.

Will it be ok, or did I just ruin my battery for good?

It'll be fine, you just didn't get a full charge.

Conventional wisdom holds that every now and then it's good to let the battery completely discharge and then completely recharge, or "cycle". Supposedly this extends the battery life by maintaining full charge capacity. I do it every month or so. (It also helps keep werewolves away. Or, maybe that was vampires...?)

It'll be fine, you just didn't get a full charge.

Conventional wisdom holds that every now and then it's good to let the battery completely discharge and then completely recharge, or "cycle". Supposedly this extends the battery life by maintaining full charge capacity. I do it every month or so. (It also helps keep werewolves away. Or, maybe that was vampires...?)

Ok, but it doesn't matter that I didn't do it the first time then?

No, it doesn't matter. If you are concerned you could just let it run til the battery is drained and then fully charge it ( like car1son said above ) but keep in mind that re-chargeable batteries have a limited number of full recharge cycles ( for MBP's for example Apple says you should still have 80 % battery capacity after 300 full cycles * ) so I would just use it normally and next time you charge it just leave it charging until it shows as fully charged.

* when Apple says "full cycles" it means 1 full drain and re-charge. In other words, letting the battery get down to 50% and charging it back up to full would count as 1/2 a charge cycle

As others have said, your fine. The batteries taht Apple uses now come partially charged and can be used right out of the box with no ill effects.

:ph34r: You're thinking that your iPod's Li-ion battery has a memory effect like the old NiCd batteries. That's not true, though