Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Close Button bug - 30 Aug show

Adam

If a change is made in a new Word document and then it is undone (or Cmd Z), the black dot remains in the Close Button. This should not be.

However, if the document is closed from the menu instead, the correct response is obtained (i.e.: The document closes without a "Save as" dialogue).

In an Excel document, both Close Button AND Menu Close are incorrect.

In a TextEdit document, both work correctly.

Maybe it's just sloppy programming by Microsoft in the Office suite?

Keith

As I programmer, I could kind of understand how hard this would be. Of course it completely depends on how they program it, but the easiest way to tell if the document needed saving would be to just find when the document changes, whether it's undone or not. But if TextEdit can do it, then obviously it can be done, and I agree, it's just poor programming on Microsoft's part.

Now, have you used Apple's XCode? If you open a document, make some changes, save it, make another group of changes, and then begin to hit undo a bunch of times, when you undo enough and get back to the latest saved version, a dialog comes up that says "This is the state at which you last saved this document. Are you sure you want to undo?" Pretty handy...

red5230

Yes, sounds good, but better still (although digressing somewhat):

From the "Standard" toolbar, in both Word and Excel, there is a 'multiple undo' and 'multiple redo' function which pretty well does the same thing. There is a description to each action, so you can recognise a particular action and go back a couple of dozen "undos" in one keystroke. If you've gone too far, "redo" half a dozen back again. It's fantastic (I don't do 'cool') and has saved me much time. I just regret sometimes that you cannot go back (say) 20 actions, change that 20th action and then repeat the other 19 actions undone! I know I'm asking too much.

Keith

Sign in to follow this