Sign in to follow this  
raghavsuri

unlocking iphone for travel

I am in the usa and have an iphone 3g, will be flying to africa in december and i want to know how to unlock the phone so that i can make calls and text to the USA while in africa

please help! thanks!

The iPhone 3G can't be unlocked. If you mean unlock it so you can put an african SIM in the phone that is. You can make calls using your usual SIM and pay the roaming charges.

Only the original iPhone can be unlocked to take any sim.

The iPhone 3G can't be unlocked. If you mean unlock it so you can put an african SIM in the phone that is. You can make calls using your usual SIM and pay the roaming charges.

Only the original iPhone can be unlocked to take any sim.

Hi i am not planning on using an African sim, i am going to use my regular American sim that i always use, so I guess then I'll be able to make calls and text without any problems and pay roaming charges?

Maybe I am incorrect here, in thinking that the iPhone 3G can be unlocked, I know 2-3 people that have iPhone 3G's unlocked with German, UK, Russian sim cards that they have contracts on in other countries.

As far as I know, it can be bought unlocked from those countries that require by law that handsets be made available unlocked, but not unlocked when bought from countries where no such law exists.

The 3G iPhone can be unlocked regardless of where purchased. The iPhone Dev Team is also close to a software unlock that will presumably be free. If you do a little research you'll find other options as well. I'm waiting on the iPhone Dev Team rather than going the route of any service along the lines of that linked above.

If you stay with your AT&T plan and intend to roam when in Africa, be prepared to pay through the nose.

Edited by mobilexile