Sign in to follow this  
Harry_The_Bustard

Money Go Round

With Value Added Tax (Sales Tax) here in Blighty due to drop from 17.5% to 15% on December 1st don't buy anything until then if you're over here and can't claim the tax back via your employer et cetera. (Leaving the country - perhaps even just for a short trip abroad - will also allow you to take advantage of the tax-free prices offered by some retailers in Departures.) Whatever the case it will be interesting to see where Apple's prices go - for example whether they'll drop the White MacBook price below the psychologically-important (to most) £700 mark. N.B. If they follow the USA's "Black Friday" trend of running a similar sale here in Blighty on December 1st, as they did last year and maybe the year before, then watch out for that too.

Of course Apple could take the re-pricing opportunity to adjust for the fall of the British Pound against the US Dollar since the latest MacBooks were introduced - the White one being £719 then (and now) with the exchange rate change since meaning it should cost £828 now and £811 on Monday. Of course it's more complicated than this - for example one might convert into and out of Chinese Yen given that most things are made in China these days - but you get the picture. So, maybe it would be wise to buy before Monday.

Update: The sale in Blighty is also on this Friday.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I see yesterday's specification bump on the White MacBook gave Apple the "excuse" to raise the price on the UK Apple Store to its pre-December 1st one of £719 whilst it remains unchanged over The Pond. (That's the sinking British Pound for you.) Let's hope that I can pick one up for £100 or so less at the UK airport from which I'll soon leave Blighty for a month - that being tax-free - and that it has the specification of the previous bump at minimum. (It's for my fiancee who's over The Briny at present and since she'll do little more than use Microsoft Office, browse the web, watch mainly DivX video and manage her iPod on there it's not worth buying before the airport and paying the extra for the latest model.) I'll 'phone a store there a week before and see what they can do - though if I told you it was Dixons (and you live in Blighty) you'll know that I'll probably be speaking to a moron.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard