northwesternmac

Crash TV

Has anyone else experienced a steady decline in the performance of the Apple TV lately?

There is a thread on Apple's support site about this. The unit, which used to work fine, has more and more freezes until it becomes totally unresponsive. Mine lasts about 5 minutes or so now, and I think HD video accelerates that, but I'm only guessing. Others have said just playing music does it. Artwork flipping stutters a lot. Some have suggested an HDMI issue, but I'm connected via component, with Toslink for audio. This set up (everything into a Denon AVR) has worked fine since I got the Apple TV. Each software update since 2.0 seems to make it worse.

I have not yet done a factory reset because I dread syncing everything again and I think the patches will ruin it again.

I'm also investigating to see if my Harmony remote can be set to "park" the unit when shutting the system down or moving to another activity.

Apple's forum has no solutions, so I'm here wondering how widespread this is and what it the smart folk here suspect as the cause. ;-)

Btw, The network is wireless and always has been.

Anyone?

My TV has been flawless and I've hacked mine to include Boxee.tv as well, no complaints.

roog

Don't have an Apple TV but it is just a specialized Mini, I think. What's the state of the hard drive? Getting full?

I don't even know these - can you repair permissions? Run Disk Utility to Repair Disk?

I've seen screenshots of what I think is a previous version showing a 'diagnostics' command but since I can't find it, I assume it's been removed since. As far as I know, there isn't a way to do any work with the drive itself, although a Apple TV hack site might have something. I have not hacked the unit in any way to this point. I also don't think it's a heat issue since the unit has a lot of space around it.

The drive is about 55% full, mostly with music and a few photos.

The thread I mentioned in the opening post:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...24&tstart=0

I use my Apple TV for music and podcasts. Mostly audio, but with some video podcasts. I have watched iTunes movies on it before it began acting up and that was ok. Right now I would not want to risk it.

Today was a good day with it; tomorrow, well, we'll see. ;)

My Apple TV has given me no problems so far (touch wood). Sorry to hear you're having trouble with it.

i've had some no-connection issues lately, but a restart fixed it. Occasionally it stutters when flipping the album artwork. The only performance hit it takes is when someone wakes up their computer in the house and the iTunes connects to the ATV.

i've noticed that i get more problems the more usage the unit gets. That is if i have been watching a lot of video on it all week it stutters more and slows down, but if i haven't used it much during the week there are no performance hits. Could it be a cache issue?