mattmac

Problem with wifi

HI Guys

I have my macbook pro connecting to my airport express and I have a netgear router connected into the express for the internet connection, and I have been finding that I keep losing my connection for no apparent reason?? although the airport signal is full all the time, the only way I found to get it to reconnect to the interent has been to switch off and on againg the airport on the mac.

Could anyone shed any light on this problem???

Thanks

PS. I am running all the most upto date sofware on the mac and airport express!!

Does this happen with any other wireless network? I'm inclined to point the finger at the express as I've never had much luck with them (I think they're crap compared to the extreme, which on the whole will run until doomsday) - but of course that's pure speculation until we've asertained whether the problem is with the express, mac (or maybe even the router, although I am a fan of netgear kit and have always found their stuff to be reliable).

I have found, that in all the most recent Macbook the Airport can be very very picky about apple's own network hardware.

Make sure the MBP and Base Station are up-to-date, and that connection robustness is switched off on both.

I just got a new Mac Pro. I am having the same problem. turn airport on and off and this fixes the issue sometimes. Sometimes not. I have to wait or turn it off and on until it decides to kick in. I will check out the link above and see if this helps me. Any other ideas. My old G4 did have some issue but not like this and I never had to turn Airport off and on. It really is driving me crazy.

It may be useful to know which wireless router you use and what type of network (e.g. 802.11g) and security protocol you utilise - though these probably won't be too useful. For what it's worth I appear to have a rogue AirPort service in a Mac mini - its connection being up and down more frequently than a tart's knickers - yet the other three Mac minis on the network never struggle.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard