Sign in to follow this  
Shaun

"Part of a compilation"

What exactly does "Part of a compilation" mean and what does it do when it's checked?

When ever I download an CD that has a track that is featuring someone else it shows up as a different artist on my iPhone. I usually just remove the Featuring artists name and all is good. But i'd kind of like to still see who it's featuring. What do you do? Any help is always appreciated.

Because Album names aren't necessarily unique, iTunes usually decides two tracks are part of the same Ablum if they have the same Album name and Artist. Being part of the same Album shows up in coverflow and Album groupings.

You can override that default in two ways: "Part of a Compilation" means different artists worked on the different tracks on the same Album (such as Musicals or "Greatest Hits of the 60s"-type albums; iTunes ignores the Artist name and groups all tracks based on just the Album name. (You can see how that would fail to do the right thing if you had two compilation albums with the same name.)

Setting the "Album Artist" has much the same effect - iTunes then groups tracks into a single Album based on the same Album name and Album Artist name. This is more useful if you have two compilation albums with the same name.

Ok but on the iPhone or iPod is where I want them to be grouped together if I search by artist. I don't want a song by Britney Spears on the Blackout CD to to be grouped separately from a song by Britney Spears featuring the Ying Yang Twins on the same Blackout CD.

Sorry, if you select by artist, "Britney Spears" and "Britney Spears featuring the Ying Yang Twins" are two different artists as far as iTunes is concerned. (If you search by Album "Blackout", using either Compilation or Album Artist will work for you, though.)

You could just lie to iTunes and set the Artist to just "Britney Spears" (using the comment field to sort all the performers out.) I've done that with some of my Musical collections. E.g., for "Avenue Q" I set the cast to "Avenue Q Original Broadway Cast", and use the comments to credit, e.g., "Stephanie D'Abruzzo & Rick Lyon".

Or, ou could make a playlist. Or, use a Smart Playlist for "Artist contains Britney Spears." E.g., I have a Smart Playlist that selects "Artist contains Paul Simon", which collects all of Paul Simon's works, whether with Art Garfunkel or solo or with any of his many other collaborations. I did something similar with an extended Beatles smart playlist. Of course, that's a hassle if you have a lot of artists you want to treat that way.

Or you could leave the artist as it is, and just set the album artist to the main artist. I think this will achieve what you want.

Or you could leave the artist as it is, and just set the album artist to the main artist. I think this will achieve what you want.

I hadn't noticed iTunes' handling of that before. If you set the "album artist" to group tracks into a single album, when you use iTunes to browse music by artist, the list of artists still shows both the actual artist of the tracks (e.g., "Britney Spears" and "Britney Spears featuring the Ying Yang Twins"), but when you select the artist "Britney Spears" the tracks by "Britney Spears" and "Britney Spears featuring the Ying Yang Twins" both show up in the track list.

But, this doesn't seem to be the behavior on my iPods (an old 3G B&W and a new Classic.) There, selecting "Britney Spears" doesn't list the tracks by "Britney Spears featuring the Ying Yang Twins".