jchiar

Prepping for Snow Leopard (drive replacement?)

HI I have a white 17 inch iMac, just over 2 years old. Ive got applecare for it too.

In prep for the next OS , I have questions about upgrading.

Background-

Ive got an internal 160 GB drive, 500 gb external for music and videos and an external 1 TB for Timemachine.

Ive got only 6gb free on my internal.

I do have a strong background in computers and ive worked for IBM repairing laptops and servers, so i have alot of hardware experience. JUST NOT with MACS.

Questions-

Since i am out of disk space, ive contemplated replacing the internal with a 1TB drive. Can i upgrade the iMacs internal drive and will it void my applecare?

If i replace the drive, ill still have my original drive for backup and for target disk mode if some apps dont work with snow leopard.

I installed Leopard over my existing Tiger install and figured 2 years is probably time for clean up.

What kind of trouble am i really getting into and is this a good move?

Thank in advance mac geeks.

Thanks Joe

It will 100% most definitely void your applecare. It's not for the faint of heart - there is seriously tin foil in there holding some bits together...

It will 100% most definitely void your applecare. It's not for the faint of heart - there is seriously tin foil in there holding some bits together...

Hmm, anyone know a reputable mac service center in NYC?