Jack LaCorte

Backup Data Stored on Time Capsule Drive

Hello,

I use my Time Capsule hard drive to store the "music" folder that is accessed by multiple iTunes libraries on multiple computers on my home network. My media collection has grown to well over 300 GB and I really need to back this stuff up. I have attached a 1TB USB drive to Time Capsule and am now looking for a good backup solution that will automatically copy the "music" folder from the Time Capsule hard drive to the USB drive so whenever I buy a new song from iTunes and it downloads to the Time Capsule hard drive, that song will also be copied over to the USB drive, automatically mirroring the data on my Time Capsule drive.

Any thoughts on a polished way to do this? Thank you all very much!

-Jack LaCorte

I'd look at chronosync to do this. It can be set to sync whenever a drive mounts or at a specific time / day.

I'd look at chronosync to do this. It can be set to sync whenever a drive mounts or at a specific time / day.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look into that program. In the mean time, I have generated a folder action script in Automator that includes a folder sync action I downloaded from unofficialtech.com that runs whenever someone adds or deletes content to the "music" folder. I, however, am not sure just how reliable this is going to be so I am looking for a plan B. Thanks again!

Okay so my way didn't work because the connection to the server was interrupted. Now I have a new problem. How to I keep Time Capsule from disrupting the connection long enough to sync 300 gigs!?

I would give Carbon Copy Cloner a try. You can set it to make an incremental clone of folders to a specified location at whatever time interval you want or even when a drive gets mounted as that can be the starting action as well. There is no need to recopy the 300GB of music every time that CCC runs. It can simply copy only the changes that have occurred since its last backup. It's a very good idea to back up your iTunes library. I would be devastated if I lost my 500GB library. I like to have 3 copies of important data such as this.