Surfer220

Add Airport Express to Time Capsule network?

Hello-

I just bought Time Capsule and it works great. I would like to use my old Airport Express to extend the network so I can also stream music from iTunes. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks.

Use AirPort Utility (Version 5.3.2) to set the AirPort Express unit up in WDS Mode "WDS Relay" via the "AirPort / WDS" page and "Enable AirTunes" via the "Music" page. N.B. If your old AirPort Express runs at 802.11g your network will, I think, drop to that from 802.11n - though I welcome confirmation or otherwise on this matter.

Not only will your entire network drop to g speeds, it will also be halved when you're connected to the express due to the way WDS works - so your network will drop from about 280mb/s to about 25mb/s.

Edited by Graham

Use AirPort Utility (Version 5.3.2) to set the AirPort Express unit up in WDS Mode "WDS Relay" via the "AirPort / WDS" page and "Enable AirTunes" via the "Music" page. N.B. If your old AirPort Express runs at 802.11g your network will, I think, drop to that from 802.11n - though I welcome confirmation or otherwise on this matter.

My Airport Express runs 802.11n. Thanks.

As always, Apple has a great source of help documents and support articles for you to use. This link is to the general Apple page for Airport and Time Capsule but this PDF has even more detailed information (I think what you are trying to do can be found between the pages 40 and 48).

I hope all this information is helpful.

Apple Geek

As always, Apple has a great source of help documents and support articles for you to use. This link is to the general Apple page for Airport and Time Capsule but this PDF has even more detailed information (I think what you are trying to do can be found between the pages 40 and 48).

I hope all this information is helpful.

Apple Geek

Thanks, this is helpful.