rockstarscooby

Copying Large Files To An External Drive Question?

Hello Forum,

I have a simple question that hopefully someone will be able to answer for me.

If I have an external hard drive full of movies, lets say about 500g and I want to transfer it another external hard drive. Can I transfer all the files at once? Or do I have drag and drop one file at a time?

Would I lose quality or drop files if I do it all at one time?

:rolleyes:

You should be able to just Select All (cmd+A) to grab all of your movies and then drag them to your other drive. This will make it so you don't have to keep dragging them one-by-one BUT your system will only transfer so many at a time so it will start a queue.

There may be an easier way (or this may not even be right at all) so some more feedback from other people might help you a little more, but...

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

You should be able to just Select All (cmd+A) to grab all of your movies and then drag them to your other drive. This will make it so you don't have to keep dragging them one-by-one BUT your system will only transfer so many at a time so it will start a queue.

There may be an easier way (or this may not even be right at all) so some more feedback from other people might help you a little more, but...

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

The above statement is correct. You would perform that action at the first page in the Finder. So volumes/"Drive_name" is where you would hit command+A or Edit, Select all. Once that is done the files will be highlighted, from there just drag and drop to the other drive there on the left side of the finder. No quality degradation will occur as you asked.

You should have no issues transferring all the files at once. I just transferred my entire iTunes library (about 230gb of movies, musics) and my iPhoto library (another 20gb) to a new external hard drive yesterday and it went flawlessly.

roog