Harry_The_Bustard

iTunes Store Daylight Robbery

Following yesterday's introduction of DRM-Free content Apple were able to offer me, via the "Upgrade {Part Of} My Library" option in the iTunes Store, iTunes Plus versions of seven of the twenty albums I've bought. (I've hundreds of others in my iTunes collection from my CD one - all, as it happens, at the same standard.) The average number of tracks on those albums is, in rounded terms, six - most of them, clearly, having long tracks on them. So, you'd think at 20p (here in Blighty) a track I'd only be paying £8.60 for the upgrade - but no - I'd have to cough up £13.98 as each is being charged at 25% of the current album price. When all twenty albums are costed on a per-album basis it comes in at around £40 - and "just" £36 on a per-track basis - the other albums clearly having a higher average number of tracks. So, the bigger picture doesn't show as big a profit for Apple but it's still a large amount for a little gain. In view of this I'll be sticking to my "analogue hole" versions where I need freedom - even if I don't get twice the quality and lose some via that option - hardly important in my case as the stuff I bought was all of the "Ambient" genre and I wouldn't gain a lot.

OK. Rant over. It's time to head over to my local Karaoke Bar where they're playing track two of the debut album by "Rage Against The Machine" - perhaps a few others with very appropriate titles - maybe even "You Ain't Got a Hold on Me" from AC/DC's "High Voltage" opus. Mind you the latter's not on the iTunes Store (as are none of the band's tracks) so let's hope the Karaoke Machine isn't dependent on that. Feel free to make any requests.

P.S. I clearly got so worked up about this one that I made a mistake in the title - which it seems I can't amend - so if a moderator could that would be appreciated.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I hear your pain. I nearly keeled over when I saw my Update My Library price. Don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.

I see from the web that other concerns are being raised - for example the lack of the opportunity to selectively update one's purchases.

I'd like to send Apple this...

Following the recent introduction of DRM-Free content you were able to offer me, via the "Upgrade My Library" option in the iTunes Store, an upgrade to part of the material which I bought there. Unfortunately I don't consider your "Special Offer" that special - it being far too expensive - so I won't be taking it up.

...but I can't see a suitable option - i.e. specifically for the iTunes Store - the Feedback service for iTunes (here) not seeming so.

If anyone finds one please let me know - otherwise I might just fire off an e-mail message to that Jobs fellow - whether he's on his deathbed or not.

I heard once that if you simply moved the tracks you don't want to upgrade from your iTunes library temporarily and then only left in the tracks you did want to upgrade you could in a way "selectively" update your track library.

Using this strategy you might be able to get the "per-track" price upgrade for your albums by removing half of each album first and then doing the upgrade? It should then see that you "don't hav"e all the tracks and give you the per trac k price.

I don't own any itunes music though so I don't know if this really works.

As for the high cost of upgrade- your music doesn't sound any worse now than it did before iTunes plus, and you knew the quality of the music when you bought it the first time around.

Ruahrc

Edited by Ruahrc

i agree that those upgrades are daylight robbery. for one simple reason: originally standard tracks were 79p while iTunes+ tracks were 99p, so it made sense to pay 20p for the upgrade. but now that they're the same price, upgrades should be free. and until they are, i will not upgrade.