Sign in to follow this  
Steve B

New Macbook Pro anti-glare option

In the post-keynote show there was a discussion about the new Macbook Pro's anti-glare screen, and interpreted it to be a matte screen. There may be another interpretation, one which is a better fit to the actual words used by Phil Schiller. It may be that the LCD screen is the same, but there is now an option to have an anti-reflection coating on the glass window. This would reduce the usual glass reflection of 4% down to 0.5-1%, and will probably be inferior to the true matte LCD screen. One disadvantage is that coatings can be scratched and abraded by fingers and cleaning cloths over time. $50 is an appropriate additional cost for this feature.

Just my 2 cents as a retired laser guy.

The way I interpreted it was that they merely remove the glass cover over the Display and then add a different bezel on the laptop cover ( from what Phil said during the presentation )

This may be old news now but I think Dolphbucs is right. If you go to the apple website and look at the 17" MBP info page (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html) you can find a picture of the antiglare 17" MBP. To see it you scroll down to where it says "Graphics in Full Force". Underneath that you see a small gallery of 3 pictures. None of these 3 show the anti-glare screen, but there is a 4th picture that does. To see it, simply click on the gallery to enlarge one of the pictures. You'll see four pictures on the bottom now, and one of them shows the 17" MBP with anti-reflective screen. Why they don't show this 4th pic on the main page I don't know.

You can see that the bezel has changed to silver- something I don't think they would have done if they were merely adding an AR coating to the glossy front. I think they're removing the glossy screen altogether and replacing it with a more traditional style aluminum bezel.

Ruahrc

Sign in to follow this