mypancakeplaces

UK pricing for iLife '09

It won't be going on either of my two Macs at those prices - though as I'm one of those who hasn't moved up from Tiger yet there would be little point - even the Mac Box Set not enticing me. Mind you I am a tight-fisted Yorkshireman.

I'm a stingy scotsman and know the value of a dollar!

But in more seriousness its because of international import taxes, also known as tariff. This is not a issue with apple per-se it is more an issue with international dollar value shifts, tariff increases and independent national inflation.

I think its safe to say that over the course of the last 5 years inflation, UK's tariff increases and rising (and now fallen) costs of shipping due to the price of oil has caused the price of iLife '09 to be higher than there US counterpart.

a simple workaround? bit-torrent or buy from the USA store.

I'm a stingy scotsman and know the value of a dollar!

But in more seriousness its because of international import taxes, also known as tariff. This is not a issue with apple per-se it is more an issue with international dollar value shifts, tariff increases and independent national inflation.

I think its safe to say that over the course of the last 5 years inflation, UK's tariff increases and rising (and now fallen) costs of shipping due to the price of oil has caused the price of iLife '09 to be higher than there US counterpart.

a simple workaround? bit-torrent or buy from the USA store.

Also consider buying the "Family Pack", strictly speaking you must all share the same residence but you wont get sent to hell if you are not ;) £17 per person and the price of 5 DVD's.

On the matter of Family Packs a so-called Genius at my local Apple Store told me one could put a single user copy of Leopard on several Macs in several locations as Apple don't do any online checking by reference to where the Macs are nor the licence code et cetera. I haven't as I'm an Honest Joe though when I finally get around to buying the one for Leopard I may bend the rules and put it on my fiancee's Panther-encumbered iBook - she not living at my current address. Then again she's in need of a new portable and with a saving of 15% - i.e. the VAT - at the airport when I see her (she lives abroad) I may just get her a MacBook and claim the iBook as my reward - that making five Macs where I live. Phew!

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard