Sign in to follow this  
tmack

How to print over wifi from my laptop to my desktop

I have a Powerbook 12" running Leopard. I want to use it to print over wifi to my Powermac G4 running Tiger. I am using a Netgear router, and it does not have a USB to plug in a printer. I think I should be able to print over wifi using the printer hooked up to my Desktop Mac. I have added the printer on the laptop as an IP printer. It finds it, and adds it, but when I hit print, the printer doesn't get the signal.

Thanks

Is your Powermac running when you are trying to print? I have discovered that my iMac has to be on and the printer has to be set up for printer sharing, for me to be able to print from my MacBook.

The only other thing I would check is to make sure that Printer Sharing is turned on in BOTH the Printing Preferences and Sharing Preferences in System Preferences. I'm not sure where these are exactly found in Tiger as opposed to Leopard, but I trust you know where these are since you are using Tiger.

Hope this information helps.

Apple Geek

Been a while since I did this but you go into the G4 preferences and turn on sharing for the printer then from the powerbook when you choose a printer you should see the something referencing the other computer in the printer list. No ip printing necessary.