buckdog

Best Way to Backup Without Leopard

I would like to set up auto daily backups onto an external drive, but don't want to pay the money for Leopard. Any suggestions?

A freeware program would be great, but it would be OK to spend a little.

Thanks!

SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner are both great backup programs. Neither is expensive.

I've used both and currently prefer SuperDuper but probably just because I'm most familiar with the current version.

I am using Retrospect for well over 15 years now.

From the site of emc you have the option to get the retrospect express program, that will be sufficient for most modest users. One central machine and two clients in a network.

It needs getting used to but else it is a great program and, most important, it allows you to indeed restore files. Something not always guaranteed with other programs.

It comes at a price, but it works very well. As well for SOHO, big enterrpise and the home user.

HTH

Rob

I'd love to know why you say Retrospect on a mac is good - it's caused more kernel panics on my backup server by buggering up the SCSI bus (which is what most tape drives still use unfortunately) than anything else. Retrospect for mac when used for any large backups (and I'm talking terabytes here, not gigabytes) is a massive steaming pile of poo.

I'd love to know why you say Retrospect on a mac is good - it's caused more kernel panics on my backup server by buggering up the SCSI bus (which is what most tape drives still use unfortunately) than anything else. Retrospect for mac when used for any large backups (and I'm talking terabytes here, not gigabytes) is a massive steaming pile of poo.

I have used it on plant-level windows server-environment, as well as in a mac environment. Both with scsi and firewire or optic fiber.

The only problems I encountered was with the hardware involved, compaq (hp) tape drives and sony tape drives. Using tape robots was possible as well, but not needed.

Terabyte backups can only be done by a concurrent system using massive storage devices (read: disks), doing that to a tapedrive is not sensible due to capacity and throughput of data.

As said, I am using it since the early 1990's, no problem unless with hardware.

Cheers,

Rob

Yep, but it's not really practical to rotate your RAIDs and put them in the off site bunker and the fire safes... Tapes are pretty much the only option for most cases.

I am going to really geek out here but what about good old Cron/LaunchD and Rsync??

They are a super way to get a daily backup.

CCC worked great for me, but now I use an online service called Mozy. It is 5 bucks a month for unlimited space. The first back up takes FOREVER but after that everything is dandy. I have 720 GB on their servers. Its great.

Edited by mynewromantica