macfan777

Free, Reliable Basic Webhosting?

I'm looking to set up some stuff on the internet, but I need to find a free webhost that is actually reliable and stable. No ads would be preferable. Basically all I'd need would be FTP and web-interface transfer, PHP5 and MySQL. The higher the storage and bandwidth, the better. Also, a URL that is actually somewhat recognizable is a big plus (not something ridiculous like host98.st.mn.com/usr/12445 or anything like that.) Being able to use a DynDNS address with it would be ideal.

The main thing I DON'T want is a service that's going to disappear in a few months with no trace. There are some that only offer free service, and I think, "How can they do that and stay in business?" (some don't) On the other hand, some will offer their services to larger businesses for a price, but provide a basic free plan. This is more what I'm looking for - nothing too fancy, just something that can guarantee its services.

I'm looking to set up some stuff on the internet, but I need to find a free webhost that is actually reliable and stable. No ads would be preferable. Basically all I'd need would be FTP and web-interface transfer, PHP5 and MySQL. The higher the storage and bandwidth, the better. Also, a URL that is actually somewhat recognizable is a big plus (not something ridiculous like host98.st.mn.com/usr/12445 or anything like that.) Being able to use a DynDNS address with it would be ideal.

The main thing I DON'T want is a service that's going to disappear in a few months with no trace. There are some that only offer free service, and I think, "How can they do that and stay in business?" (some don't) On the other hand, some will offer their services to larger businesses for a price, but provide a basic free plan. This is more what I'm looking for - nothing too fancy, just something that can guarantee its services.

If your trying to setup a portfolio there are a few sites that you can use for free, carbonmade, but otherwise just pay for hosting. It's really cheap if you shop around.

Freewebs.com doesn't work because it's template based. I need to be able to upload my files and directories (some may be html exports from iWeb or Notebook and probably a copy of something like PHPBB for a forum).

you can host it yourself if you have a spare computer lying around and get a DNS routing company, (I'm sure some are free) this way all you need is to buy the domain name and your set. (however the throughput of the site will be the maximum UPLOAD speed of your internet connection from home.)

i have my own site hosted on my mac mini and it works great for me.

I've been doing that for a while on my iMac, but I would need better speed, and besides, the machine I would need to host it from would be a MacBook, and I'll be going to college this fall. College student + laptop ≠ reliable hosting machine. :lol:

Well, I finally decided on Byethost, at least for now. The website's up (see my sig) and works rather nicely. It is a bit slow, but I guess with free hosting that's to be expected. Now I just have to be sure to make backups in case the host goes down.