skipfoo

Repartition drive

Ok, I have a macbook and it came with tiger and a few weeks later Leopard came out. So I installed Leopard and resized the original partition 70 GB for Leopard and 30 for Tiger so I could fall back if Leopard wasn't ready for prime time. I have since abandoned Tiger and blew out that partition thinking I could just resize the Leopard partition to use the whole disk - not so. Sorry for the long explanation. What is my most efficient way to have Leopard use the entire disk.

Thanks for the help.

Backup to an external drive using superduper, boot from your leopard disc (hold down the c key whilst the mac is starting), open Disk Utility, blitz your partitions, make a new one, boot from the superduper clone (which you checked worked first, right?!) and then clone it back to your resized internal partition.

Backup to an external drive using superduper, boot from your leopard disc (hold down the c key whilst the mac is starting), open Disk Utility, blitz your partitions, make a new one, boot from the superduper clone (which you checked worked first, right?!) and then clone it back to your resized internal partition.

Cool and Thanks.

Does superduper require that the external drive be formatted Mac OS or can it be FAT, NTFS?

Cool and Thanks.

Does superduper require that the external drive be formatted Mac OS or can it be FAT, NTFS?

Your clone is going to be a bit for bit copy of your primary drive. There are preferences in Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper to do an incremental cloned backup of your drive. There are also preferences so that when either app runs that it totally erases the external drive and starts over from scratch. I would not use this as this leaves you with only one drive when the clone process occurs. I would suggest an incremental clone strategy along with a Time Machine backup.

As far as your two partitions go, I would use the Bootcamp assistant to consolidate the two. This same process works if you were to create a Vista, XP, or or 2nd Mac OSX operating system, as you have done. See if the Bootcamp assistant will allow you to do this. It is found in your Applications/Utilities folder or do a Spotlight search. And as always make sure you have your multiple backups of your sensitive information. I would hate for you to lose everything. It always gets me a bit nervous when I am doing non-destructive partitioning. This should get you started in your endeavor.

Ok, I did a superduper backup. Any reason not to just boot from the superduper bootable clone and then run disk utility from there instead of the Leopard install disk then restore to the new partition?

Booting from that external clone is just like booting from your internal hard drive. You will have the same desktop background and all. The benefits of having a bootable clone is if something happens to your hard drive you are able to boot from a clone of the computer and keep on working while you repartition your internal drive. If you boot from the leopard disk you will not be able to use the computer for anything else while this is happening. There are several scenarios where having a clone is a great idea. Say you take your external hard drive to a friends house or the library where they have much faster Macs where you need to do some serious video editing and encoding. You would simply restart the other Mac that you are using and when the grey screen appears hold down the Option key. The Mac will recognize the internal hard drive as well as the External hard drive. Firewire would be a big plus here, 800 being the best. Note that both your machine and the other Mac that you are on need to be the same architecture, meaning both are Intel based. Once you select your external hard drive as the boot volume it will start up and you are running "your computer" I have done this several times and is a great option to have in addition to your Time Machine backups. If you have any more questions just post them here. I have followup emails turned on so I know when someone leaves a post in this thread.

Brent

Just to add further info, I assume that the first volume on skipfoo's HD was the Tiger one. If not, and the first ( top ) volume ( partition ) was the one with Leopard installed, then he could have used Disk Utility to enlarge the Leopard volume after deleting the old Tiger volume. In order for this to work, however, there must be free space after ( or below in Disk Utility ) the volume you wish to enlarge ( see help for Disk Utility under " enlarging a volume" )

Edited by Dolphbucs

Thanks to everyone for their help on this all worked as advertised.

I thought I'd do a recap in case someone else is looking for the same info.

My internal disk had 2 partitions. Partition 1 was where Tiger was installed and partition 2 is where Leopard was installed. I removed partition 1 assuming I could use Disk Utility and easily extend partition to use the free space - this does not work.

Following the advice in received in this forum, I downloaded SuperDuper and installed it. I used a external USB drive formatted it Mac OS Extended. I did a SuperDuper Backup-All of my internal drive. When that completed I rebooted from the external drive "clone". The OS loaded exactly the same as the internal drive. I then launched Disk Utility and re-partitioned the internal drive as 1 partition using the full capacity of the disk fomatted Mac Os Extended. While still running from the clone, I then lauched SuperDuper and did a Backup-All again. This time from the clone to the newly partitioned interanal drive. When it completed, I restarted and booted from the internal drive. Very cool, it was as if I hadn't done any of this except I now have the full capcity of th drive.

Thanks again to all for your help.

My internal disk had 2 partitions. Partition 1 was where Tiger was installed and partition 2 is where Leopard was installed. I removed partition 1 assuming I could use Disk Utility and easily extend partition to use the free space - this does not work.

That's what I thought. So, to clarify my previous awkward explanation, if Leopard had been on Partition 1, Disk Utility would have worked. Glad things went well for you on the migration skipfoo.