jreljac

MacBook Air Question - original model

Howdy,

I noticed that the Apple Store has refirbed MB Airs in both the 1.6 and 1.8 GHz configurations.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the 1.6 models for my wife.

She does mostly Office/web work but she does occasionally use a Parallels Virtual PC for some school software (she's a principal)

Is there any reason I should spend more and get her a current model over the refirb?

Does anyone know of any specific issues with this model in particular?

She's not a heavy/power user but she does rely on her laptop quite a bit.

Right now she has an older MBP (15")

Any input would be great...thanks,

J-

If you're using parallels I wouldn't bother with an air. I'd go for a macbook and stick 4Gb of ram in it - much more suitable for running a virtual machine.

heres my two cents:

the macbook air is a nice machine in that it is very portable, thin, incredibly light, has a great screen and impressive CPU power and storage capacity for its size. it is as a machine very technologically advanced and superior in engineering and manufacturing than any other laptop its caliber.

that said it is also VERY expensive and for the real world productiveness and power of the machine you can get a MUCH better Macbook for the same price or LOWER! even the referb macbook air is overpriced for what you get as a computer.

seeing as how you want to also run windows on this new machine I would strongly recommend getting a refurbished white macbook and going to your local computer hardware store (or RAMJET, NEWEGG or any other computer parts store and buy a bigger capacity hard-drive (so MacOSX and windows will have plenty of space)) and get 4GB of RAM so both systems have plenty of resources to use. this is much cheaper than getting the maxed out HD and RAM options from apple. and apple doesnot even sell the 500GB 2.5" HDD that i have in my macbook.

so yea, for what its going to be used for get a MacBook not a MacBook Air. you will just be disappointed by its capacity as a computing machine compared to what you spend on it.

heres my two cents:

the macbook air is a nice machine in that it is very portable, thin, incredibly light, has a great screen and impressive CPU power and storage capacity for its size. it is as a machine very technologically advanced and superior in engineering and manufacturing than any other laptop its caliber.

that said it is also VERY expensive and for the real world productiveness and power of the machine you can get a MUCH better Macbook for the same price or LOWER! even the referb macbook air is overpriced for what you get as a computer.

seeing as how you want to also run windows on this new machine I would strongly recommend getting a refurbished white macbook and going to your local computer hardware store (or RAMJET, NEWEGG or any other computer parts store and buy a bigger capacity hard-drive (so MacOSX and windows will have plenty of space)) and get 4GB of RAM so both systems have plenty of resources to use. this is much cheaper than getting the maxed out HD and RAM options from apple. and apple doesnot even sell the 500GB 2.5" HDD that i have in my macbook.

so yea, for what its going to be used for get a MacBook not a MacBook Air. you will just be disappointed by its capacity as a computing machine compared to what you spend on it.

Your completely missing the point of the air. Your looking at it from a typical male computer users point of view and your missing what your paying for in the air. With the air you are not paying for computing power your paying for size and weight. Those are things that are equally valuable just not to you. Because of your own prejudice your deciding that a 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM are more important than size and weight. My wife was using a 500Ghz compaq with 750MB of RAM and maybe a 20GB HDD and she never once ran into any limitations from the point of view of computing power. The system needed to have windows reloaded and it had other issues related to being a 4 year old laptop but as far as computing power it was fine. So I bought her the refurb macbook air for $999 and she loves it. It's exponentially faster than what she had and it's so much smaller and lighter that she just loves it. It has an 80GB HDD that is way to small for me but she wasn't running out of space at 20GB, why does she need 500GB? Try to step outside your own biases and consider other market segments when you talk about something like the air.

Now as to the original question, what did she have before and what does she do with windows? It's asking a lot of the air to run windows also but dpending on how often she uses it and what she does with it she might be fine. Also maybe there is another way to do what she is using windows for.

Now as to the original question, what did she have before and what does she do with windows? It's asking a lot of the air to run windows also but dpending on how often she uses it and what she does with it she might be fine. Also maybe there is another way to do what she is using windows for.

Her Windows PC use is limited. Her school uses a program that she uses which gives her access to their security cameras and she occasionally has to use it to open the odd document.

On a bust week she may use it 3/4 times max.

The bulk of her work is Office and web based. We were thinking about the Air because she is becoming more and more mobile...she's speaking at conferences more (Powerpoint/Keynote) and she's running several district programs that keep her moving about and it would be nice to get a lighter laptop for her. The 15" MBP she has now is a little much to lug around all the time.

Her current laptop has 2GB of memory and she is not anywhere close to the limits of the disk. I'm thinking the 2GB on the Air and the 80GB disk is plenty.

Your completely missing the point of the air. Your looking at it from a typical male computer users point of view and your missing what your paying for in the air. With the air you are not paying for computing power your paying for size and weight. Those are things that are equally valuable just not to you. Because of your own prejudice your deciding that a 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM are more important than size and weight. My wife was using a 500Ghz compaq with 750MB of RAM and maybe a 20GB HDD and she never once ran into any limitations from the point of view of computing power. The system needed to have windows reloaded and it had other issues related to being a 4 year old laptop but as far as computing power it was fine. So I bought her the refurb macbook air for $999 and she loves it. It's exponentially faster than what she had and it's so much smaller and lighter that she just loves it. It has an 80GB HDD that is way to small for me but she wasn't running out of space at 20GB, why does she need 500GB? Try to step outside your own biases and consider other market segments when you talk about something like the air.

good point... i guess i figure most computer users are like me when in fact I'm probably the minority when it comes to computer usage. so based on what she would use it for the air would be a perfect choice.

Her Windows PC use is limited. Her school uses a program that she uses which gives her access to their security cameras and she occasionally has to use it to open the odd document.

On a bust week she may use it 3/4 times max.

The bulk of her work is Office and web based. We were thinking about the Air because she is becoming more and more mobile...she's speaking at conferences more (Powerpoint/Keynote) and she's running several district programs that keep her moving about and it would be nice to get a lighter laptop for her. The 15" MBP she has now is a little much to lug around all the time.

Her current laptop has 2GB of memory and she is not anywhere close to the limits of the disk. I'm thinking the 2GB on the Air and the 80GB disk is plenty.

Yah your probably going to be fine and I am sure she will love it. Office documents don't take much space on the hard drive and it sounds like even if windows is slow she won't use it enough for that to be an issue.

pwnusmaximus: Sorry I was a little harsh. I was ranting more about the general consensus of reviews regarding the air rather than you in particular. There are so many reviews saying you could get a faster computer for less... duh. If your reviewing a computer like that it's not about how fast it is. My wife didn't even know she had a CD burner and hasn't used the optical drive in probably more than a year, so who cares that it doesn't have an optical drive? It's all about the right market segment.

A good friend of mine also bought a refurbished Apple and he is very satisfied with it. He uses the MacBook Pro at home and not for business.

If you want more information about this you should definitely visit the LA Computer Fair 2009. I am already looking forward to it. I am of the opinion that this will definitely be a great event.