Ajax

iPod nano 2G eject problem, need help

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with a problem that I am having with my iPod nano. I have a iPod nano 2G that has been having eject (and connection) problems with iTunes. Lately when I connect my iPod nano to iTunes to update and change my music and Podcasts it will sometimes not be recognized. I use the same USB iPod cable connector for my iPod touch and have no connection or ejection problems with my iPod Touch. More problematic is when my iPod nano is recognized, after it has synced and says that it is okay to disconnect, when I try to eject the iPod nano I get the following message:

"The iPod "name of iPod" cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application."

When it won't eject I then manually disconnect it and get the error message that I may lose updated music, Podcasts, etc. which is usually true. I have tried restarting the iPod nano, closing and opening iTunes, and restarting my computer, none of which solved the problem. When I check to see if my iTunes and iPod nano 2G software is up-to-date, my computer says that it is. Have the latest Mac OSX and iTunes software on my computer. Lastly, I tried restoring my iPod nano to factory settings. When I first tried the restore I got the following message:

"The iPod "name of iPod" cannot be restored because it contains files that are in use by another application."

I was finally able to get the restore to work by un-syncing all the music, Podcasts, photos, etc. from my iPod nano and then re-sinking my music, Podcasts, etc. after the restore. I was able to ejected and disconnected without any problems immediately after the restore. However, the very next time I connected my iPod nano to iTunes and tried to eject it I got the same "cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application" message. I do not use my iPod nano as an external data storage devise, I only put music, Podcasts, and photos on it through iTunes, so I don't know what other application it thinks contains files in use.

So, is this fixable? If so how? Or is it time to get a new iPod nano? I would appreciate any help that you all can provide.

Thanks, Ajax

Sounds like the drive might have some corruption or is dying.

I'd try a secure erase (plug it in, open Disk Utility and erase it and write zeroes) and then restore. May or may not solve the problem but it has worked for me with a couple of different iPods.

Thanks for the suggested fix Huskermn. it seems to have worked. I implemented your suggested fix and have sync with iTunes several time now with no connect or disconnect problems.

Thanks again!

Ajax