iRMac

Lyrics On iPod

Hello, my friend was playing a song on her iPhone and when you touch the middle of the album art the lyrics come up. I have a recent generation iPod Classic and was wondering if I am able to do something similar. She said she downloaded a certain dashboard widget and after that it syncs all her lyrics from songs she has bought off of iTunes. Any ideas?

Thanks

To add lyrics to a song in iTunes you can right-click on the song and "Get Info". There is a Lyrics tab where you can copy and paste lyrics you find on the internet (or anywhere) into that tab and they will be with the song. There are some 3rd party apps for the Mac (widgets and apps) that will automatically find lyrics for you and add them to the song, but otherwise you can do it by hand. Yes, on the iPhone and iPod touch, if you tap the screen the lyrics will come up, but if you are using a Classic (and also a nano if I'm not mistaken) you just hit the center button when the song is playing and it will cycle through the scrubber, star rating, and eventually get to lyrics.

Hope this information is helpful. But remember that the lyrics will only show up if you have added them to the song in iTunes.

Apple Geek

Thanks, any good widgets? She said it was called SingThatTune, but I can't seem to find that.

I'm sorry, I don't actually use any of the widgets or apps but I know they are out there. But I would recommend checking out this page for desktop apps and searching under music on this page for some widgets.

Apple Geek

PearLyrics works well, although it has been discontinued by the developers, so it's a bit of a google to find it.

Thanks, I have decided just to abandon the idea, because I have over 2,000 songs and these programs seem to make you do them manually one by one.

It's actually pretty easy to get lyrics automatically updated in iTunes.

Download and install these two scripts from Doug's Applescripts "No Lyrics to Playlist" and "Needle Drop", plus a widget called "Harmonic", that searches for lyrics if a song playing in iTunes doesn't have any. I'd suggest PearLyrics, but it's not been updated for years and still has a PowerPc binary.

Run "No Lyrics to Playlist", then run "Needle Drop" against the new playlist, "Harmonic" will automatically update the mp3 info if lyrics are found.

THERE WE GO THAT'S JUST WHAT I NEEDED!

Edit:Actually, I ran the No lyrics playlist, that worked, then what exactly do I do?

Edited by iRMac

Assuming you've installed the other two. ;)

Start up "Needle Drop" at the beginning of the "No Lyrics" playlist, it's a while since I used it, but I think you specify a number of seconds to play each song. Select around 15-20 seconds and let Needle Drop go down the "no lyrics" list. Harmonic should kick in in the background and search the internet for available lyrics, whilst each song is playing.

It's the type of task to set up before you go to bed, and just leave running overnight, with the volume down.

Ok I got it, I think 2 seconds works, because I've been playing each for 2 and when I "get info, lyrics" they are there.

For album art it is actually much simpler. Just go to the Advanced menu in iTunes and select "Get Album Artwork". Though, this does have some flaws- it only works if each song as an album name attached to it (so Apple can find it) and it pretty much has to be the exact same spelling and such for Apple/iTunes to get the right album art, but in my experience it works very well.

Apple Geek

Pretty sure it only works for songs you have bought from iTunes or songs that are formatted perfect...I'll try though!

Pretty sure it only works for songs you have bought from iTunes or songs that are formatted perfect...I'll try though!

I have had it very successful on most of my songs - and *most* of them were not downloaded through iTunes. But like I said, it has to be a title that iTunes recognizes and the name of the album has to be pretty much spot on. But otherwise it works fine for me.....what format are most of your songs? (mp3, mpeg, acc, etc...)

Apple Geek

I have had it very successful on most of my songs - and *most* of them were not downloaded through iTunes. But like I said, it has to be a title that iTunes recognizes and the name of the album has to be pretty much spot on. But otherwise it works fine for me.....what format are most of your songs? (mp3, mpeg, acc, etc...)

Apple Geek

yeah, they're mp3

Is there a dashboard widget that automatically syncs artwork to itunes for the currently playing song? Sort of like Harmonic except for artwork?

Since the majority of what I listen to isn't available in iTunes, I was forced to find another solution. I used coverscout, and it found them all for me. Well worth the price.

I ask again, I'm looking for an application or dashboard widget that syncs the album art of the current playing song to itunes without having to click apply. I want to run Needle Drop and an application/widget, come back in a few hours and have all my music with album art.

It's actually pretty easy to get lyrics automatically updated in iTunes.

Download and install these two scripts from Doug's Applescripts "No Lyrics to Playlist" and "Needle Drop", plus a widget called "Harmonic", that searches for lyrics if a song playing in iTunes doesn't have any. I'd suggest PearLyrics, but it's not been updated for years and still has a PowerPc binary.

Run "No Lyrics to Playlist", then run "Needle Drop" against the new playlist, "Harmonic" will automatically update the mp3 info if lyrics are found.

couldnt get the Harmonic widget to fetch songs from the internet.. dunno if i was doing it wrong but it only seemed to display lyrics if a song already had them and thats about it. however i did find a nice little free menubar app called GimmeSomeTune if used in conjunction with Needle Drop, it will fetch album art as well as Lyrics automatically while song is playing.

Yeah, there was recently a court ruling that prevents lyrics database sites from doing things the way they used to ( read this in a recent Macworld online article ). Some 3rd party apps have found a workaround but others have not.

Just get Gimme Some Tune. It does artwork and lyrics, it isn't perfect but I love it. Or you can get TuneUp if your wiling to pay.