iRMac

Cleaning Macbook

Hello, I have a 13 inch white macbook from late 2006 and over the years in has become extremely dirty. I couldn't find any other helpful forums on cleaning it so I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to clean the inside (opened to keyboard and screen) and screen without wrecking anything. Thanks!

p.s. I believe it is a non-glossy screen.

Hello, I have a 13 inch white macbook from late 2006 and over the years in has become extremely dirty. I couldn't find any other helpful forums on cleaning it so I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to clean the inside (opened to keyboard and screen) and screen without wrecking anything. Thanks!

p.s. I believe it is a non-glossy screen.

For the white part you can use the mr clean magic eraser sponge things. For the screen just get an lcd cleaner.

For the white part you can use the mr clean magic eraser sponge things. For the screen just get an lcd cleaner.

lcd cleaner...such as?I don't want to wreck the screen...

if you have a silk cloth (like the ones for spectacles) and some windex or "mirror sheen" and squirt a shot on the cloth then gently rub the screen. thats what I use on my 17inch macbook pro. works great.

Usually not a good idea to use Windex or other glass cleaners as they can be kinda corrosive to LCD screens.

A 60/40 water/rubbing alcohol mixture seems to work pretty well without damaging anything long term (and usually you can just use the eyeglass cloth on the screen to take care of dust and light stuff, but if you got smudges or the like then the water/alcohol should take care of it). It cleans the body/keyboard of the Macbook too.

For the inside (keyboard, body) should I just turn the computer off and rub down the keys? Will it wreck the keys?

Thanks?

Usually not a good idea to use Windex or other glass cleaners as they can be kinda corrosive to LCD screens.

A 60/40 water/rubbing alcohol mixture seems to work pretty well without damaging anything long term (and usually you can just use the eyeglass cloth on the screen to take care of dust and light stuff, but if you got smudges or the like then the water/alcohol should take care of it). It cleans the body/keyboard of the Macbook too.

Actually, even a water/rubbing alcohol mixture can create issues with the coating on the screen. I would just use water with a good micro-fibre cloth .... or better yet, try iKlear, it's alcohol free, ammonia free and has something in it to help protect the screen. Plus it is recommended by Apple.