Börkur Jónsson

Font mixup on downloaded files in safari

Hi I'm a University student in Iceland. When I download files from the school education system the Font of the file's are scewed. The original name is:

scewed.png

and When the file is downloaded the name is:

normal.png

Any way to fix this ?

Edited by Börkur Jónsson

You are using an American version of typing while the University is using their typing system, thus it gives you some of their letters in our alt code instead of their alt code. The only way to fix this would be to convert the file or use their typing system.

You are using an American version of typing while the University is using their typing system, thus it gives you some of their letters in our alt code instead of their alt code. The only way to fix this would be to convert the file or use their typing system.

how can I find out which type they are using ?

You have probably already done this when you installed OSX or first started your Mac, but check your System Prefrences / International, and make sure your Language to choice is set to Icelandic: (On the Inout Menu tab, check Icelandic and check "Show input menu in menu bar" and then select the Icelandic language from that input menu.) Then, us "Force Quit..." from the Apple menu and resatart Finder.

The font mixup was also visible in mail. I changed the fonts used in mail to Windows-1252 with the following command. However this only partly fixed the problem.

defaults write com.apple.mail NSPreferredMailCharset "Windows-1252"

messedfonts.png

As you can see in the picture the fonts are messed up on the upper side but not on the email preview pane. Can someone explain this ?