mrstucci

forward delete key combo

mrstucci    15

Hi- was listening to one of the latest podcasts and there was a mention of an F key that can be used to forward delete (like PC users do)..... at least that's what I remember. I would like to know what the setup is and give it a try. Judy

Apple Geek    15

If you are using a laptop or the Apple wireless keyboard, the fn key should be on the bottom left of the keyboard. All you have to do hold down that button while pushing the delete key and it will forward delete. If you are on a wired Apple keyboard, there is already a forward delete key (to the right of the regular delete key) and all you have to push it by itself - no other buttons needed.

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

mrstucci    15

I am using a MBP so the fn key should work but it doesn't. The cursor just keeps blinking in the same space........ Judy

Dolphbucs    2

Try going to system preferences ... in the keyboard settings make sure the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" checkbox is unchecked. If it is already unchecked, try checking it, close out system preferences then reopen system prefs and uncheck it again. I'm thinking that the keyboard settings might have a glitch on your MBP. If none of that works it could just be that you have a bad fn key.

mrstucci    15

I did what you suggested but it still doesn't work. Never used the key, didn't know what it was for. So it looks like a bad fn key...... Thanks for the help anyway, Judy

Dolphbucs    2

Just one last idea. Does it behave this way for all user accts? If you only have one user acct just create a new one and see if it behaves the same there. If it works OK in another acct, it could be a corrupted setting in your user acct. Don't know how you'd fix that ... I guess you would just migrate to the new acct if it works OK there.

mrstucci    15

I do only have one user account (Admin) but have a test account set up. Will give that a try...... Good idea! Judy

mrstucci    15

It didn't make any difference........... :unsure:

Tyranicus    0

Yeah, that sounds like you have a problem with your fn key. I would make an appointment at my local Apple store f I were you.

Edited by Tyranicus

mrstucci    15

Thanks, sounds like a good idea, Judy