Docproc

External USB drive has become invisible!

Hi

For ages I've been using an external USB harddrive as a backup of one Mac, let's call this Mac A. The disk has 2 partitions and, up until a couple of days ago, would behave as expected - plug it in, the icons for the 2 partitions appear on the desktop, and the drive is listed in Disk Utility.

All of a sudden however it's disappeared - plugging it in has no visible effect (you can hear/feel the disk spinning and the light is on) but nothing appears on the desktop and there's no mention of it in Disk Utility. Looking at the USB section in System Profiler, however it _is_ listed (as LaCie USB harddrive + various other information).

Other USB devices on Mac A work fine.

At first I just assumed the disk was hosed, but upon plugging it into another Mac (call it Mac B), it works fine - the drives show up on the desktop and are accessible, the disk & partitions are listed in Disk Utility, as well as in System Profiler. I've run repair disk, repair permissions etc, but still the drive in question is invisible to Mac A.

Both machines are running 10.5.6.

Any suggestions on how to get Mac A to see the drive again? It's a PPC-based system so I'm not sure if I can easily try another OS to see if it's a Leopard-specific problem.

Mac A is a 1.67Ghz 15" Powerbook, Mac B is a 2.2Ghz 15" Macbook Pro.

Glenn.

Hi

For ages I've been using an external USB harddrive as a backup of one Mac, let's call this Mac A. The disk has 2 partitions and, up until a couple of days ago, would behave as expected - plug it in, the icons for the 2 partitions appear on the desktop, and the drive is listed in Disk Utility.

All of a sudden however it's disappeared - plugging it in has no visible effect (you can hear/feel the disk spinning and the light is on) but nothing appears on the desktop and there's no mention of it in Disk Utility. Looking at the USB section in System Profiler, however it _is_ listed (as LaCie USB harddrive + various other information).

Other USB devices on Mac A work fine.

At first I just assumed the disk was hosed, but upon plugging it into another Mac (call it Mac B), it works fine - the drives show up on the desktop and are accessible, the disk & partitions are listed in Disk Utility, as well as in System Profiler. I've run repair disk, repair permissions etc, but still the drive in question is invisible to Mac A.

Both machines are running 10.5.6.

Any suggestions on how to get Mac A to see the drive again? It's a PPC-based system so I'm not sure if I can easily try another OS to see if it's a Leopard-specific problem.

Mac A is a 1.67Ghz 15" Powerbook, Mac B is a 2.2Ghz 15" Macbook Pro.

Glenn.

That's one weird issue. I've had problems like this with my Lacie drives before as well. Try copying all the content on the HD to the machine that sees it and reformatting the drive in disk utility. This should do the trick.

Hi

It turns out it was a combination of a USB hub with a bad port and the USB port on the computer not providing enough power. I'd tried the drive in both USB ports on the Mac, neither of which give out enough power (I know now) but not thought to try it in a different port on the same powered hub it was originally connected to.

Once I plugged the drive into a different port on the same hub, it worked fine. I only realised this after trying a second external HDD which, helpfully, beeps if it's not getting enough USB power. If only the Lacie had done this I'd have saved myself a lot of investigation!

Thanks

Regards