Dolphbucs

Something to look out for?

Just a thought I had today. While updating my iPod Touch Apps through iTunes today, it occurred to me that if an unscrupulous app designer were to release an update that cost money to a currently free app, and a person were running iTunes using one-click shopping, and if that person just clicked "update all" without looking at all the apps, then that persons Apple account would be charged for the update ..... thus the developer "tricks" current users of the app into paying for a new paid version.

I wonder if Apple has thought of this and/or has anything in place to prevent this scenario?

Edited by Dolphbucs

Just a thought I had today. While updating my iPod Touch Apps through iTunes today, it occurred to me that if an unscrupulous app designer were to release an update that cost money to a currently free app, and a person were running iTunes using one-click shopping, and if that person just clicked "update all" without looking at all the apps, then that persons Apple account would be charged for the update ..... thus the developer "tricks" current users of the app into paying for a new paid version.

I wonder if Apple has thought of this and/or has anything in place to prevent this scenario?

When you go into iTunes to update your apps, it specifically says, "Download all free updates". In addition to that, you can see each individual item that you're updating, so if for whatever reason you didn't want one of the updates, you could just not update that one. So far, I haven't seen any that have you pay for an update though. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you'd hear the media uproar if they started doing that.

Good eye desertrose. I totally missed that the button said "all FREE updates". Obviously this shows that Apple had already taken my possible scenario into consideration and thus my entire premise is a moot point.

In the words of Emily Latella ..... Nevermind.

On a related note. i "purchased" a free unit conversion app when it first came out in August. Since then it has become a paid app, but i am still not charged for the upgrades, and there have been at least two since the app went paid.