Sign in to follow this  
zeal

Desktop is Resetting?

I'm running 10.5.11 on a G4 Power Mac.

Every min or so my Desktop icons disappear and the desktop resets. Everything is back to normal. The desktop icons are fine but the brief flicker makes me wonder what is happening. As I type this if I got the OS flicker/reset I would have to click to reactivate the window as I would have been pulled back to the desktop when it flickered/reset. Annoying when typing in forums etc.

Any ideas what this is happening and/or how to fix it would be great.

Thank in advance.

Sounds like maybe Finder is crashing, do you have any sort of add-ons to it installed?

Try going to /Applications/Utilities/Console and see what error messages your getting whenever it happens.

Are there any other symptoms? Is your clock still set for the correct time? Have you replaced the battery on the motherboard? When they get weak, strange things like that start to happen.

Hi

thanks for helping me troubleshoot this. On the flicker finder rest thing if I have a finder window open it will close. My clock is fine it is showing the correct time. all seems OK but the rest flicker thing. Now I see in the Console that my finder is crashing I'm getting even more nerves. See attachments

consol_window.jpg

finder_crash_log.jpg

Thank again anyone who can give me some help.

Wow, your Finder is really sick, crashing every 90 seconds or so.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if it happens to a different user account. If you don't currently have a second user account on your Mac, you can use the System/Preferences... Accounts prefpane to create one. Then log in as that other username and just open and close windows to see if Finder behave better. That will help determine if your have a system-wide problem or some account-specific issue.

Either way, you might mentally review what software you have installed. Simple applications probably aren't a problem, but stuff that's more intrusive into your OS is worth reviewing: Menubar hacks, automation tools, diagnostic software, antivirus, Network monitors, Wiretap, EyeTV, CandyBar, that sort of thing.

(Also, if you have TechToolPro or DiskWarrior, you might ask it to scan your hard drive's Volume and Finder info, in case the root cause is corrupt disk info.)

For a system-wide problem, you might consider an Archive and Install from your 10.5 install DVD, to put OSX back to initial condition (followed by a session with Software Update to bring it back up to current rev (there's a 10.5.11 ? OMG, why am I still on 10.5.5 ? Whatever, downloading the current "combined updater" from Apple prior to the Archive & Install can save you time.)

If it's a problem specific to the user, and you can't think of any oddball software you have installed, you can play some games to isolate the issue by first removing the user Library folder to return the account closer to virgin status, and steadily putting things back. If it turns out to be account-specific, LMK if you'd like some suggestions on how to proceed with that.)

PS. The crash log would be more interesting seen from the start (stack & thread trace) rather than at the end. Usually these logs can only be interpreted by a true Finder exegete, but sometimes it drops a clue to us mere mortals. :)

Edited by car1son

thanks for your help.

I have a backup clone of my computer as of January 26 2009. I will take the hit on some minor e-mail and such that will be lost. Tonight I will refresh my system to the backup date. I hope this fixes the issues. I will keep you posted.

Edited by zeal

OK

I went back to my clone backup and it seems my computer (Finder) is Back to normal. Still wondering what may have caused this so I can keep it in mind and try not to have it happen again. At least I am back, operating like I was. Thanks for looking into this with me. Any ideas... We can still continue the discussion if you want to.