Sign in to follow this  
rmsmits

Service Provider Recommendation

I'm moving to Austin, TX and will need a new ISP since comcast isn't available there. Can anyone recommend me a mac-friendly broadband ISP in Austin?

Thanks

It looks like Time Warner Cable is available which means you can get Roadrunner Cable internet. I use Roadrunner and it's very fast and reliable. Standard service gives you about 7 mbps down and about 600kbps up.

It looks like Time Warner Cable is available which means you can get Roadrunner Cable internet. I use Roadrunner and it's very fast and reliable. Standard service gives you about 7 mbps down and about 600kbps up.

So far I can only find Time Warner and AT&T as options which is unfortunate because they always try to bundle phone and TV with everything which would be OK if you could customize more. <_<

You said above that you currently use Comcast. Didn't you have TV and internet bundled there? Time Warner has several packages that will just bundle Cable and Internet.

You said above that you currently use Comcast. Didn't you have TV and internet bundled there? Time Warner has several packages that will just bundle Cable and Internet.

For phone, I have vonage which is great and I want to keep, so no go with that bundle. I did bundle basic cable with the internet on comcast which gave me Discovery, TBS, and a few other stations that I like (besides local and network stations). Time Warner's channel options seem to go from bare bones local and network only to over 120 stations (which I'll never watch but still have to pay for). I guess I'm looking for the happy medium I currently enjoy at the same price point and T. M. just doesn't offer the same bundle.

Wasn't congress supposed to pass some sort of bill that would allow you to choose your cable channels ala carte? That'd be great, but I'm pretty sure they're busy with more important things at the moment.

Yeah, what you are looking for is a la carte cable service .... in industry terms, bundling means combining different services. Unfortunately, most areas don't offer what you are after. I live in the Tampa FL area and we have Brighthouse Networks. They're better than most but I still have to pay $100.00/month for HD cable, DVR and Roadrunner with 17 mbps down and 5 mbps up. That might sound like a lot, but unlike Comcast there is no 250 GB monthly bandwidth usage cap and these speeds are not burst, they are constant.

Another way to look at this is it could be worse .... you could be moving into an area w/o broadband at all. Remember that about 30% of all homes in the US are still in that boat.