MacFanatic

HardDrive Testing

Could anyone recommend a good piece (preferably free) of software that I can install in a 2007 iMac for harddrive reliability, etc?

Thanks!

For $79 you can purchase Micromat TechTool 5 at ClubMac.

You might save even more if you find a copy of v4.5

These will give you a bootable CD which you may need at some point.

For $79 you can purchase Micromat TechTool 5 at ClubMac.

You might save even more if you find a copy of v4.5

These will give you a bootable CD which you may need at some point.

Tech Tool Pro is fine, but I can't recommend it anymore than Disk Warrior or Drive Genius. They all do a good job of keeping your drive working. I've used them all for several years and they've all worked well most of the time but all have failed me on occasion. Basically, I'm saying they are all good but none are infallible. Drives WILL eventually die. Backup, backup, backup.

The most solid drive utility I have ever seen/used is SpinRite, which VERY unfortunately requires a Windows box AND direct access to the drive.

Drives WILL eventually die. Backup, backup, backup.

The most solid drive utility I have ever seen/used is SpinRite, which VERY unfortunately requires a Windows box AND direct access to the drive.

According to Google, and they have a large disk farm in their datacenters, disks either die within 6 months or after 6 years. Of course these numbers are not absolutes but they did a statistical analysis on their hard disks. In short: when a drive lives through their first months it is likely to function properly for 5-6 years. Some however will die after the warranty ended, some will last even longer than 6 years.

I can only agree: BACKUP BAKUP BACKUP, but be selective and just dont backup every nonsense file you have on your system. Be selective.

Regards,

Rob

I agree with that. When selecting mission critical hard drives (like drives for the boot volume on a server for instance) we run them for a couple of months first if possible on a test box. If they survive, they're packed up again ready for use in a server when needed. If not, they get RTM'd.